CS2

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
Seeing as there is a dedicated thread for 'that'other superhighway, thought I'd start one for us towards the East.

Anyway. Cycled along this a could of times recently (seems they've ripped large sections up).
I noticed that at a few lights there is an option of diversion on to the pavement. Is this to alllow cyclist to cross the road, or to effectively bypass the light? I chose to wait because I didn't want to inadvertently be naughty.
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• Ages ago I read that they put some mega bodge in for cyclists to cross the road (part of their half arsed go dutch plan...as in they didnt go dutch)...could be that?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    It is horrible at the moment - I bottled the canal one day when it was icy but frankly CS2 was far worse. Some of the lanes seem to have been taken out of use, others last for a few yards, - all just generally crappy
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You should count yourself lucky coming in from barking way the cycle lane had more breaks crossing and broken glass than tarmac.

I once rode out from Euston to hanger lane and noticed on the map a cycle lane running the whole length, sure enough it was the worse shared pavement lane I've ever seen, went around corners with barriers stopped at the pedestrian crossing the resumed the otherside.

I gave up and used the road
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    You should count yourself lucky coming in from barking way the cycle lane had more breaks crossing and broken glass than tarmac.

I once rode out from Euston to hanger lane and noticed on the map a cycle lane running the whole length, sure enough it was the worse shared pavement lane I've ever seen, went around corners with barriers stopped at the pedestrian crossing the resumed the otherside.

I gave up and used the road

I use the cs3 every day and yes, it's very stop start, it absolutely kills tyres, is bumpy and slow compared to a road but to be fair...its a fairly chilled out ride compared to the immediate alternatives...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Slow what is this slow you talk of?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jds_1981
    imatfaal wrote:
    It is horrible at the moment - I bottled the canal one day when it was icy but frankly CS2 was far worse. Some of the lanes seem to have been taken out of use, others last for a few yards, - all just generally crappy
    I remember you posting - the canal was fine that day.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • http://pic.twitter.com/XcD4ySHqR5 - nice going lighting contractors...
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • That's just beautiful!!!!! :):):)
  • imatfaal
    http://pic.twitter.com/XcD4ySHqR5 - nice going lighting contractors...

And that's the second time! They did it in Stratford section a few years back. I mentioned to a friend on same route and he had called out when he passwed to the construction team along the lines of "are you sure??" the response was a wicked grin and
    "we asked three times and got told that we were just the labourers and that we should do what we were told and shut up"
    "so we did"
    "and we will get overtime for taking it back out and putting it where we wanted to put it originally"
  • imatfaal
    jds_1981 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    I remember you posting - the canal was fine that day.

I would have preferred walking along the canal to that trip of CS2. Main reason I bottled it was the puddles that had stayed frozen all day on Cable Street. Should have stuck with the canal - how people ride Mile End /Whitechapel Road every day I do not know
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Well, I've been riding this cs for a couple of weeks now, on different shift patterns. I commute from Fenchurch Str to Leyton, either via Roman Rd/Victoria Park or up to Stratford and then through the Olympic park.

This last week I've been on days, and the eastbound cs in the mornings is awash with litter (plastic bottles and plastic bags sometimes on a wet surface), and someone trying to unload a 30ft lorry is always leaving those tall loading cages in the cs.

I come back toward Fen Str in the afternoon, and there's a lot more pedestrians then. Personally I don't like the way the CS has been 'planned out'. It snakes around bus stops, and people just seem to get off a bus and step out in front of me - they can't always be seen if the bus shelter is in the way. I've had people just wandering in the cs talking on phones (I sneak up and shout 'BOO' - great fun!).

Cars don't seem to recognise it as part of the main highway - apparently the T-junctions (and Give Way lines) are at the curbs to my right, and the cs is just part of the pavement !! ??

I also think the surface could be a lot smoother - it bumps like cobble stones in places, and there seems to be a lot of manhole covers in it - once again I feel a bit weary in the wet.

I appreciate what TfL have tried to do, but for me it isn't a complete success - I still prefer the road, where oncoming cars turning right can see me better (or seem to) and give way/wait for me to pass rather than just turning in front of me.

Are these genuine concerns, or do I just want 'the moon on a stick'?

Steve
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    SME wrote:
    Well, I've been riding this cs for a couple of weeks now, on different shift patterns. I commute from Fenchurch Str to Leyton, either via Roman Rd/Victoria Park or up to Stratford and then through the Olympic park.

This last week I've been on days, and the eastbound cs in the mornings is awash with litter (plastic bottles and plastic bags sometimes on a wet surface), and someone trying to unload a 30ft lorry is always leaving those tall loading cages in the cs.

I come back toward Fen Str in the afternoon, and there's a lot more pedestrians then. Personally I don't like the way the CS has been 'planned out'. It snakes around bus stops, and people just seem to get off a bus and step out in front of me - they can't always be seen if the bus shelter is in the way. I've had people just wandering in the cs talking on phones (I sneak up and shout 'BOO' - great fun!).

Cars don't seem to recognise it as part of the main highway - apparently the T-junctions (and Give Way lines) are at the curbs to my right, and the cs is just part of the pavement !! ??

I also think the surface could be a lot smoother - it bumps like cobble stones in places, and there seems to be a lot of manhole covers in it - once again I feel a bit weary in the wet.

I appreciate what TfL have tried to do, but for me it isn't a complete success - I still prefer the road, where oncoming cars turning right can see me better (or seem to) and give way/wait for me to pass rather than just turning in front of me.

Are these genuine concerns, or do I just want 'the moon on a stick'?

Steve

I'm reserving judgement till its completely finished...but yeah, they've bodged up large sections from what I can see. Going Dutch means giving priority to the cycle lane...that hasn't happened. In fact once again they've gone out of their way not to impact motorists and this is what you end up with.
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    The lights at commercial Street are a fatality waiting to happen. The tiny cycle lights are red, whilst the large normal lights directly ahead show green, I waited but most kept going, assuming green = go . This clearly hasn't been throught through
  • imatfaal
    BobMcbob wrote:
    The lights at commercial Street are a fatality waiting to happen. The tiny cycle lights are red, whilst the large normal lights directly ahead show green, I waited but most kept going, assuming green = go . This clearly hasn't been throught through

I haven't tried it since my last rant about it a few months back - but the lights issue was what was wrong at Bow Roundabout with cyclists not understanding they were being held back and somebody died before they rethought it.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I could put up with CS2 if they'd just sort the lights out. Red light after red light, after red light, after red light. All sequenced to perfectly go red as soon as a cyclist gets close from the last red. It's enough to drive you mad, as most people at lights probably think I am as I arrive cursing the people who timed them.

Other observations - there will be a big increase in left hooks . Drivers don't consider the lanes part of the road. They pull out straight across them regardless of cyclists, they turn straight across them. They've always done this. But you've always had somewhere to go. Now you're directed straight into the impact zone.

And how on a straight rode they manage to make the cycle path weave in and out all over the show has taken great thought, and probably someone after a large number of pints at lunch time.

And pedestrians who think its ok to walk in them, feck off.
  • BobMcbob
    Had a 2nd look at the junction at commercial street, they have painted some blue paint from the far left lane diagonally across the junction into commercial street on the right. I think this means you can wait at the lights and when the bike ones go green you can follow this piece of blue paint but I am unsure? It's bloody dangerous to my mind, will stick to sitting at the front of the (correct) right turn filter
  • SME
    JZed wrote:
    I could put up with CS2 if they'd just sort the lights out. Red light after red light, after red light, after red light. All sequenced to perfectly go red as soon as a cyclist gets close from the last red. It's enough to drive you mad, as most people at lights probably think I am as I arrive cursing the people who timed them.

Other observations - there will be a big increase in left hooks . Drivers don't consider the lanes part of the road. They pull out straight across them regardless of cyclists, they turn straight across them. They've always done this. But you've always had somewhere to go. Now you're directed straight into the impact zone.

And how on a straight rode they manage to make the cycle path weave in and out all over the show has taken great thought, and probably someone after a large number of pints at lunch time.

And pedestrians who think its ok to walk in them, feck off.

If the first light you caught was green then the others would be too! OK I'll fetch my coat now!

On a serious note...
    I was thinking that at bus stops they should have made the cycle lane go straight for a while before meandering back to 'the curb', and put a railing up at the queuing end of the bus stops to stop people stepping out from behind a shelter that no one can see around (hard to explain, but a railing would make people move away from the bus shelter to cross giving a larger field of view).

And while we're on railings, can some be put at the lights so I don't have to unclip? (as in Malmo)
    And I like the suspended roundabouts in Eindhoven... Bow could use one of these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKXeKfu4lo
  • BobMcbob
    I was thinking that at bus stops they should have made the cycle lane go straight for a while before meandering back to 'the curb',

Agreed, like the embankment route. There looks to be enough room to bypass bus stops without the need for over-engineered turns and speedbumps, it actually creates a pinch point - must have been designed by people that don't cycle.

Seems the junction at commercial street has been re-laid, the blue markings have now disappeared! Why can't they just keep to a standard colour for cycle lanes?
  • BobMcbob
    The blue lines are back at commercial street junction, but they have removed the ASLs, despite them being at the previous set of lights (commercial road) 50yds before....I despair. I counted over 50 bikes in there yesterday, all expected to funnel into the metre wide lane on the left, presumably those going right are meant to wait there for the bike phase, rather than use the filter lane which has also had the ASL removed.

The junction is now more dangerous than before, well done TFL.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    BobMcbob wrote:
    The blue lines are back at commercial street junction, but they have removed the ASLs, despite them being at the previous set of lights (commercial road) 50yds before....I despair. I counted over 50 bikes in there yesterday, all expected to funnel into the metre wide lane on the left, presumably those going right are meant to wait there for the bike phase, rather than use the filter lane which has also had the ASL removed.

Yeah it's a bit s**t. I just use the filter lane coming from commercial road to commercial st tbh just as before - not gonna add extra time by using 5 metres of csh before waiting an extra phase to turn right...
  • jds_1981
    Screw cs2.
    Tried a short section a few times now.
    Last night moved on to the road eastbound before the b142 turn off(the bike lane always has a red light so no point in taking it to go straight ahead). Get told by a car that I should be in the bike lane and 'it was dangerous' (being in the road). I pointed out the bike lane had a red light but he shrugged.
    Going east bound this morning. Lorries stopping across the lane waiting to pull out. Cars turning off the main road across the two lanes of traffic (through gaps), cyclists drifting all the way across and crowds of pedestrians just walking across it without looking. Not going to complain about the corners that are a bit tight at 25mph+ or the humps as I actually kind of enjoy obstacles ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • SME
    My ignorance... ASL's??? And, the B142, is that the junction before the Bow roundabout?

There are a couple of lights like that that are red for cyclists but green for cars, as mentioned...
    BobMcbob wrote:

Yeah it's a bit s**t. I just use the filter lane coming from commercial road to commercial st tbh just as before - not gonna add extra time by using 5 metres of csh before waiting an extra phase to turn right...

... I think this is westbound, but the same applies to eastbound too, I believe.

Quite frankly, I've also skipped the CS and used the vehicle(?) traffic lights on occasion, and after the lorries unloading, ignorant pedestrians, etc., I'm really considering just shunning the CS altogether. For me doing shift work, going home early in the morning or going to work late at night it's OK. But the rest of the time I think I'll take my chances with the HGV's and buses!
  • jds_1981
    ASL= cycle box.
    B142 if just before bow roundabout, yes
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • BobMcbob
    SME wrote:
    My ignorance... ASL's??? And, the B142, is that the junction before the Bow roundabout?

There are a couple of lights like that that are red for cyclists but green for cars, as mentioned...
    BobMcbob wrote:

... I think this is westbound, but the same applies to eastbound too, I believe.

Quite frankly, I've also skipped the CS and used the vehicle(?) traffic lights on occasion, and after the lorries unloading, ignorant pedestrians, etc., I'm really considering just shunning the CS altogether. For me doing shift work, going home early in the morning or going to work late at night it's OK. But the rest of the time I think I'll take my chances with the HGV's and buses!

It seems to be worse of late, box junctions are required with camera enforcement.

c53pG6x.jpg
    From this morning's run in, I'm at a red light in front of the ASL (because its blocked with cars)... Ironic the lorry blocking the cycle lane is "looking out for vulnerable road users". What a shambles
  • imatfaal
    BobMcbob wrote:
    c53pG6x.jpg
    From this morning's run in, I'm at a red light in front of the ASL (because its blocked with cars)... Ironic the lorry blocking the cycle lane is "looking out for vulnerable road users". What a shambles

Had a similar altercation with a minicab this morning on CS3 - when he started getting out of his cab cos I was stopping him push through the bike lane I happily explained that we could call the police to sort it out as I was pretty sure that my camera had caught him going through the red light (which was why he was trying to turn through the bike lane which was now green). The cyclist behind also called out that it was certainly on his camera too - at which point the mini-cabber backed down and almost apologized. The other cyclist then pulled alongside me as we rode off and said "I thought I better back you up on that - especially as that is a front light not a camera" Which is true - but as no driver has ever called my bluff I think I will carry on pretending till I get around to buying one.

BTW - that is a lovely stillshot: what model camera is it?
  • BobMcbob
    BTW - that is a lovely stillshot: what model camera is it?
    It's a Contour Roam.

Another example, the coach later ran the red. A few peds scattered across, quite a few nodders RLJ'd. Kings Ferry, professionally driven, every time. Jucr2Yx.jpg
  • SME
    In one sense I can understand this... If the coach doesn't 'make a gap' then the traffic from the right will come across on the next light change. One way or another that junction will get blocked.

It probably needs a yellow hatch box with cameras. I thought it did have one before all the redevelopment - I swear that's where a friend got caught.

Either way, vehicles pulling out across the cycle lane to join heavy traffic is not good for cyclists or pedestrians. I'm not sure that some car/van drivers know where the Give Way lines are since the CS was opened.
  • BobMcbob
    SME wrote:
    In one sense I can understand this... If the coach doesn't 'make a gap' then the traffic from the right will come across on the next light change. One way or another that junction will get blocked.

It probably needs a yellow hatch box with cameras. I thought it did have one before all the redevelopment - I swear that's where a friend got caught.

Either way, vehicles pulling out across the cycle lane to join heavy traffic is not good for cyclists or pedestrians. I'm not sure that some car/van drivers know where the Give Way lines are since the CS was opened.

Yeah I agree, the junction is generally badly designed yet was only remodeled a few years back when the Aldgate one way was removed, one wonders what kind of traffic modelling/planing (if any) TfL actually do when building these things? It's compounded by lanes not being wide enough for a coach or HGV to make the turn without blocking the other lane (ironically the superhighway took that space!) and this inevitably causes traffic to stop through the junction as the phase on the next lights 50yds up the road is always red! Box and cameras would make a difference IMO.
  • jds_1981
    Argh, motorcyclist pulled up next to me, right next to me, as in touching. When I questioned him as to why he told me I should be in the cycle lane. Being advised I should be in the cycle lane must be around 1/4 of my journeys along there.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • SME
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Argh, motorcyclist pulled up next to me, right next to me, as in touching. When I questioned him as to why he told me I should be in the cycle lane. Being advised I should be in the cycle lane must be around 1/4 of my journeys along there.

So is it now law, written in stone, that because a cycle lame is there we must use it? Quite frankly I'm leaning towards letting the Boris Bikers use it and staying in the road myself - I reckon most of the riders on this forum could keep up with traffic without hindering it.