Be careful if you're riding around Maidstone Off road - Barbed Wire Trap found

TonyJams
TonyJams Posts: 214
edited June 2016 in MTB general
Very, very nasty. Big up local rider Daniel Webster for spotting this and bringing it to the police's attention
http://bikesy.co.uk/features/knowledge/ ... t-in-kent/
Really lost for words on the mentality of someone who would set a trap like this.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    POAH wrote:
    lol @ #terrorism

So it's not terrorism unless it goes "BANG!"?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • That is dispicable.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    lol @ #terrorism

So it's not terrorism unless it goes "BANG!"?

not sure how much political gain will be had from hanging barb wire over a cycle track.
  • Angus Young
    Terrorism isn't exclusively political.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Terrorism isn't exclusively political.

suggest you look up the definition
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    From Wiki:
    'Terrorism, in its broadest sense, is defined as the use of violence, or threatened use of violence, in order to achieve a political, religious, or ideological aim.'
    So if idiot want to stop mountainbikers and uses fear, it's technically terrorism. Ideologically speaking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    From Wiki:
    'Terrorism, in its broadest sense, is defined as the use of violence, or threatened use of violence, in order to achieve a political, religious, or ideological aim.'
    So if idiot want to stop mountainbikers and uses fear, it's technically terrorism. Ideologically speaking.

That's it.
  • If only some of the morons putting this barbed wire in place could be caught in the act and be sent down for attempted manslaughter.

Even if cyclists went out with pocket fulls of tacks, cycling in the cycle lane and throwing handfuls on the road to inconvenience cars/lorries, it would not be as dangerous or moronic as this barbed wire across the road at neck height.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oxoman wrote:
    Similar things happened around cannock a while ago.
    No, a photo from the US was reposted claiming it was at Cannock - it wasn't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TonyJams
    They are at it again elsewhere in the country unfortunately
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-36196234
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    It's happening in Bridgend too!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Are these tracks accessible to motocross bikes as a lot of the time stuff like this happens as people on motocross bikes have been down the tracks and cause a nuisance to others.
  • Angus Young
    How fast is a good mountain biker going, down hill with a following wind?
  • The Rookie
    On a steep (well known as fast) hill in the Cotswolds I've clocked 37mph on a moderately rough bridleway and a mate who's a bit quicker clocked 40mph (GPS Via Strava), I'm sure there are faster around but that's the fastest I've seen on what was genuinely off-road (all be it with a compacted stone surface).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    On a steep (well known as fast) hill in the Cotswolds I've clocked 37mph on a moderately rough bridleway and a mate who's a bit quicker clocked 40mph (GPS Via Strava), I'm sure there are faster around but that's the fastest I've seen on what was genuinely off-road (all be it with a compacted stone surface).

That's around what I thought it would be (though I can't imagine I'm doing anywhere near that). I wonder if the people setting these traps actually realise we're going that fast. Wire across the neck at 40mph would probably be not far off decapitating a rider.
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    You're assuming the capacity for empathy and the intelligence for fully formed ideas.
  • The Rookie
    The IRA used to string wire traps in NI to 'attack' army Land Rovers with the screen down, it stopped after a young kid out on a pushbike was killed (nearly decapitated apparently), also by then the army was fitting an upright 'wire snapper' on the front of the landies anyway. That was some time ago.
  • TonyJams
    Someone is at it in central London now
    This has just come up on the BBC, rope up in Hyde Park taking a cyclist out
    Be careful out there http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36547576
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    TonyJams wrote:
    Someone is at it in central London now
    This has just come up on the BBC, rope up in Hyde Park taking a cyclist out
    Be careful out there http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36547576

I'm not sure what the best punishment would be for someone being found guilty of this ridiculous trend...

Lock them up and throw away the key
    Set the same "trap" up, attach guilty party to an e-bike that cannot have speed or direction changed and send them towards their idea of "fun"
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo