strada big fella wheels

speedyturtlewithedge
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi could someone please help. I am looking for a strong wheel set that can take 130kg could you please tell me if the strada big fella wheels would be strong enough. http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/product/big-fella/.

thank you

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    These look more than up to the job. I've been this weight, and happily used Kysriums and Fulcrum 3s and Quatros as well. It's as much down to riding style as weight. Some people work with the bike, some battle against it!
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Well I weigh 102, but usually have a rucksack with laptop and clothes (about 7kg, sometimes 10) and I use the pro-lite Gardas from Wiggle while saving for a pair from a wheel builder. I've had the current pair on since july last year - now upwards of 3500 k and they've had to go in for truing twice. But that distance includes 5 cross races, 2 sportives and commuting 4 days / week since jan this year. And I'm the sort of rider who may occasionally hop a kerb and the roads in the New Forest are surprisingly pot-holed near the edges.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-garda- ... -wheelset/

The wheels you pick look good, but for that money you could get some made bespoke for you.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well those strada wheels are a good start but they have missed a few tricks. To ensure long term relability over thousands of miles they could use triple butted spokes like dt swiss alpine III or sapim force. They could also use the kinlin xr31t rim for the front and the xr31rt rim for the rear. Offset drilling really helps spoke longevity. Both these rims though have a 120kg weight limit.

Also the dt rim requires there spdcial alloy nipples. Alloy nipples witn a 130kg rider means nipple failure is a real risk. Brass nipples should be used but you cant do that with the dt rim.

Actually the best rim for the job though is the h plus archetype.the spoke nipple bed is very thick and it is the only rim apart for the rigida dp18 that can handle a 130kg rider or more without risking rim failure. Pair this rim to shimamo ultegra hubs 32f/36r with triple butted spokes and brass nipples and you have a wheelset that works until the rim wears out.

There is no rim better suited to heavy tiders than the archetype. It is beyound robust.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Just to add that the wheels I hope to be able to buy eventually will be from Malcolm at the cycle clinic. And on that note, the silver tektro cantis bought last week off the cycle clinic ebay store look fine on the ridley. Cheers.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I was just about to suggest the OP talk to Malcolm at Cycleclinic. At the price of the Starda wheels I'm sure Malcolm could sort out something within his budget

I've just fitted a set of his Archetype/Miche Primato wheels (32F/32R) to my latest build (Planet X Pro Carbon) and I'm very impressed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handbuilt-H-P ... 68d8767015

I tip the scales at 90kg (hoping to lose a bit over summer) and the spec I think is spot on for me.

Not sure of the Miche hubs are available in 36 hole format tho (which as Malcolm says would be ideal for a 130kg rider)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    http://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets ... ggestions/

David at DCR wheels has a section about wheels for heavier riders on his wheelset suggestions page (scroll right down).

As others have said, best to start a conversation with a wheelbuilder who will be able to recommend exactly what would suit your needs.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Those wheels look good and would be more than up to the job. I can highly recommend Strada too as they are very nice to deal with. Had some HPlus TB14s made up on Sapim race spokes 32h from them and they are great. Sure they could handle 130kg too.

P.S. If you phone them they will ask for your weight ect anyway and adjust the build if needed, but would most likely not need to change anything on that wheelset.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Well those strada wheels are a good start but they have missed a few tricks. To ensure long term relability over thousands of miles they could use triple butted spokes like dt swiss alpine III or sapim force. They could also use the kinlin xr31t rim for the front and the xr31rt rim for the rear. Offset drilling really helps spoke longevity. Both these rims though have a 120kg weight limit.
    I'm probably missing something here, but didn't the OP want wheels rated to 130KG ?
  • thank you for all your help
  • cycleclinic
    @mikebrew yes you are not missing something and that is why I suggested the OP looks at the archetype rim as the strada build is decent but for a 130kg rider it has some flaws (they may not be critical flaws though).
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I guess I just didn't "get" why you where introducing the Kinlin rim into the debate at all, when it was only rated to 120KG.... My opinion is that being too quick to criticize the competition, often results in an own goal - even if the points you raise are salient...
  • cycleclinic
    I have to correct myself. The strada wheelset actually uses brass nipples. DT Swiss supply there alloy nipples for this rims but the product description does read built with brass nipples. this does actually change matters. You may be at the weight limit or just over for that rim but nipple cracking wont be a problem.

It always pays to read a description twice.
  • just wondering why dt supplies their rims with alloy nipples if brass is the preferred choice?. thank you
  • hi thanks for your help. last 2 questions
    would I get it any cheaper buying the components online then get the wheels built buy local dealer?
    also would it be worth upgrading to ultegra hubs over 105, is the bearings any better. reason asking seen ultegra hub set going for £99.99.

many thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    hi thanks for your help. last 2 questions
    would I get it any cheaper buying the components online then get the wheels built buy local dealer?
    also would it be worth upgrading to ultegra hubs over 105, is the bearings any better. reason asking seen ultegra hub set going for £99.99.

many thanks

Possibly, but it could also be false economy if your local "dealer" happens to be crap at building wheels (many shops think they are better at it than they really are).
    left the forum March 2023
  • This is Jonathan from Strada. This wheel is rated for 130kg no problem. We do not use the DT Swiss supplied Squorx alloy nipples but our own Hex head silver plated brass ones. We have not had any issues using Sapim Race spokes in these wheels and for this rim do not see the need to use a plain gauge spoke. You are always welcome to call and discuss your requirements.
    Strada Hand Built Wheels
    www.stradawheels.co.uk
  • I agree with UGO here, taking parts to a LBS for a build to save money is usually false economy, we've seen some shockers come through the workshop.
    Strada Hand Built Wheels
    www.stradawheels.co.uk
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I would upgrade the hubs to 6800 Ultegra because they are easier to maintain if you are not an ace with cone spanners. you will need a couple of 5mm allen keys.
    Ridley Fenix SL