Single speed freewheels

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited December 2016 in The workshop
I'm looking at single speed freewheels however they either seem

a) Cheap but crap ie Shimano MX30 jobbie
b) Expensive but great ie White Industries

I'm not willing to spend £75, considering the point of a SS is low cost (£75 is several 9 speed cassettes)

Also because sprocket & freewheels are combined into one, as I wear out sprocket that means the whole lot is discarded.

So I'm thinking a better option is a typical "cassette" wheel with splined/threaded cassette type, then buy a single speed "cassette" That way as I wear sprocket I just replace the single sprocket, and if I need to replace freehub I just replace the hub.

Wouldn't do it for my existing bike but thinking about getting a single speed cyclocross, most likely V brake model as disc brake seem pain for setting up, corrosion near the hubs seem to crap up calipers, and interference with mudguards/panniers.

What options do I have for this method, with a single speed bike, typical chainline/axle width, freehub + sprocket?

FYI the wheels I have now are these for the Genesis Flyer

http://v-sprint.com/product/carbon-allo ... ck-wheels/
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IME of Shimano MX30 freewheels they have lasted on average around 2 years of all weather riding but that includes a re-lube after a year or so. I used to buy them for around £25. To re-lube them you sat the wheel on the floor and undone the central ring with a hammer and punch, then unscrewed it fully and then dribbled thick chain lube over the bearings. Anything else was too thick and the pawls would stick and lead to the freewheel jumping.
    I did bag a White Industries freewheel off Ebay for £55 from the US.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You can't use a conventional freehub in a single-speed frame, as the rear spacing will be wrong - track hubs are 120mm, road hubs are 130mm. Go with the Shimano, or go fixed...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its very easy to covert a geared bike to single speed ((64 appears to have not actually read your post), its fairly common for mountain bikes to get the right wheel.

My commuter has discs and has had for 5 1/2 years, no more work needed than with rim brakes I'd say, I just adjust the callipers (pad position) about once a month which takes all of 2 minutes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Yes I did. If he's buying a single-speed cyclocross with v-brakes, like - say - an One-One Pompino, that will come with 120mm OLN rear spacing and won't take a freehub. Sure he could convert a geared bike to single-speed with a chain tensioner or an eccentric BB and use a freehub with a single cog and spacers, but that seems like a lot of extra work and cost to save a few quid on a freewheel.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Shimano MX30 are good quality and last well for £20/£25. You could get cheapo ones for approx £6 too, won't last as long but will be ok.

I'd recommend a Connex 1Z1 1/8" chain as it's rust proof and can normally pickup for £10/£11
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    dgunthor wrote:
    Shimano MX30 are good quality and last well for £20/£25. You could get cheapo ones for approx £6 too, won't last as long but will be ok.

I'd recommend a Connex 1Z1 1/8" chain as it's rust proof and can normally pickup for £10/£11

When I first got my SS TRicross I changed the freewheel and bought a cheap one that lasted all of 2 weeks before it went back.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    ha! that wasn't good quality then! have seen cheap mtbs with cassettes made of chocolate too!
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I've been using a Halo which seems Ok;
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/component ... wheel-p588
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • I also run a Halo Clickster on the single speed, on my second one now but far outlasted cheap freewheels, used all through the winter in all weathers.
  • Just ride fixed. Much cheapness.