Dolan pre cursa or shadow

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited June 2016 in Track
Hi please can anyone tell me which bike is better frame in terms of quality the Dolan pre cursa or guerciotti shadow. Many thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Both welded aluminium frames and both most likely out of Taiwan. They are probably both of a similar quality, to be fair. The Dolan would be the safe choice, the Shadow if you want to be different. Neither will have an advantage over the other in practice though.
  • Thanks for that .
  • Thanks for that I don't suppose you know what crankset and bb works best for the Dolan I have been reading some conflicting stories to do with chain line and crank arm rubbing chain stay. I have spoke to Dolan and they only recommend the sugino one they sell. Does anybody know of an alternative as the sugino is quite pricey. Cheers.
  • imposter2.0
    The Dolan BB is just a standard 68mm BSA threaded shell, so any square taper track crank ought to do. There are even a couple of external BB chainsets now (like the SRAM Omnium) if you want to go that way. Either way, there should not be any issues with clearance or chain line, assuming you have the correct BB axle length for whatever chainset you are fitting.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the older pre cursa had a specific chainline issue and needed the Sugino crank, but the newer ones do not.
  • imposter2.0
    Didn't know that mamba - how 'old' are we talking?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:
    Didn't know that mamba - how 'old' are we talking?

We ve a PC circa 2011 ish, last year bought another (brand new - £99) as my daughter never "grew" into the original, its a size smaller and we got it as it made track stands easier for SGames -it has kinks in chain stays to give more clearance. we ve run Stronglight with no issues

the Sug RD2 cranks are £60 w/o rings, so not earth shattering.
  • Thanks for the advise looks like dolan is the way to go I have also been looking at langster but I think the dolan still wins. I have been researching wheels and have narrowed down to 3 navigator street espresso and miche hand built. I am going to use bike for commuting and getting around in general. Please can anyone tell me info about these wheels and which is best quality and value for money. Thanks.
  • imposter2.0
    To be honest, if you are going to use the bike for commuting, then you'd probably be better off getting opinions on wheelsets in the road buying advice or commuting forums...
  • You are probably right cheers. I.have put another post up .
  • I have decided to go to v sprint for the wheels as they are highly recommend and have a good reputation. They were really helpful when I called and I am having wheels built to my spec. Back to frame I think the pre cursa is number one on my list but was wondering if anyone know about the aventon mataro low. It looks good but is it as good as the Pre cursa. Cheers.