Dr Bonar

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited June 2016 in Pro race
“I can’t comment how much doping is going on because I don’t know factually, but what I can tell you that there’s not a lot of testing going on in amateur cycling,” said Stevens.

“We are a long way behind what athletes could be using at elite level. At amateur level people are potentially using what elites were using 15 years ago. The elites could be using far, far more sophisticated stuff.”

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... es-public/
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    To put this into context Froome is being tested c. 80 times per annum according to an article last week (Telegraph I think)
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited June 2016
    “I can’t comment how much doping is going on because I don’t know factually, but what I can tell you that there’s not a lot of testing going on in amateur cycling,” said Stevens.

“We are a long way behind what athletes could be using at elite level. At amateur level people are potentially using what elites were using 15 years ago. The elites could be using far, far more sophisticated stuff.”

Ah, the Cat 3 printer salesman

And...?
  • “I can’t comment how much doping is going on because I don’t know factually, but what I can tell you that there’s not a lot of testing going on in amateur cycling,” said Stevens.

Dupe (appropriately)
  • Joelsim wrote:
    To put this into context Froome is being tested c. 80 times per annum according to an article last week (Telegraph I think)

Welcome to the sports world. No country goes hell bent for leather on testing weekend warriors and fun runners

The USAC just introduced an additional $3 levy on its licence holders to raise funds for more testing on amateurs, especially Masters etc (where it's reputed to be a real issue in the US)

But even so it will be a drop in the ocean

Money, resource, priority of both etc. Where both are limited, it will always go on testing the pros
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Let's all remember here that Dan Stevens is a mid level cat 3 amateur who had to dope to get out of cat 4. Despite his lowly level, UKAD still went to test him after a tip off, which suggests that were doing their job just fine.

He'a like a student who's been caught with a bag of weed and is now making out he'a some kind of gangster by talking about things he's seen on a Ross Kemp show.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Let's all remember here that Dan Stevens is a mid level cat 3 amateur who had to dope to get out of cat 4. Despite his lowly level, UKAD still went to test him after a tip off, which suggests that were doing their job just fine.

He'a like a student who's been caught with a bag of weed and is now making out he'a some kind of gangster by talking about things he's seen on a Ross Kemp show.

This
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Claims to have gained 60 watts (so Christ knows what he was like before)
  • RichN95.
    I'd point out that that I used to play hockey at a much higher level than Dan Stevens will ever cycle, and I only once played in a game where there was testing (Welsh Championship final, won 2-0). Because I was still a long way from elite level.
  • RichN95.
    he claimed 60-70w improvement and also a 15-20% improvement in threshold powet which would put his threshold power between 300 and type. In other words his level would be somewhere between a Continental pro and Tony Martin.

The man's a fantasist. I've been teammates with a few, I know the type.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    he claimed 60-70w improvement and also a 15-20% improvement in threshold powet which would put his threshold power between 300 and type. In other words his level would be somewhere between a Continental pro and Tony Martin.

The man's a fantasist. I've been teammates with a few, I know the type.

Hehe
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

Welcome to the sports world. No country goes hell bent for leather on testing weekend warriors and fun runners

The USAC just introduced an additional $3 levy on its licence holders to raise funds for more testing on amateurs, especially Masters etc (where it's reputed to be a real issue in the US)

But even so it will be a drop in the ocean

Money, resource, priority of both etc. Where both are limited, it will always go on testing the pros

Agree totally.