Recently bought a power meter?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited June 2016 in Road general
Just wondered how your normalised power compares with Strava computed power.
I have one on order and am interested to hear what others have found.

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited June 2016
    It doesn't really compare at all - the Strava numbers are complete nonsense IME.

If you think about it all Strava knows is your weight (probably not set accurately or updated regularly in most cases), your speed, and a very rough guesstimate of incline. It does not know if you were riding alone or in a pack or 20 (or drafting a car/bus/scooter!), how aero your position or bike is or what the wind was doing. It can't possibly be correct, or even close.
  • Expect 15% variation

Or guess
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    That would be a whole ride average I guess? Individual segments can vary hugely, +/- hundreds of watts.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Strava uses a slightly different algorithm for it's version and usually comes out a little less than Normalised Power.
    If you mean compared to strava's guesstimate then that is a random stab in the dark.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    After using a wattbike I find the output from my stages is a lot less (give or take 25-30 watts lower). But as most people who use a power meter effectively will tell you the consistency of the numbers are more important in the long run. Only way you will know for sure is to do a few FTP using the meter to get an idea of where you (using your meter ) are and then working out power zones based on them figures and using that as the guide for your training. If you don't get this bit done first you will not get any benefit out of it and it will become nothing more than expensive bike furniture.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    CleeRider wrote:
    Just wondered how your normalised power compares with Strava computed power.
    I have one on order and am interested to hear what others have found.

The Strava estimated power isn't really useful IMHO. For group rides especially, it will be waaaaay out. It's probably closer to the truth on long, slow climbs, but still probably not useful for much.