Whats the point in handlebar rise?

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited June 2016 in MTB general
I fancy going wider (750mm to 780mm), otherwise the set up on my bikes pretty much spot on. Just wondering if the rise in a handlebar only affects the overall height of the grips? Does it affect anything else in terms of control?

For reference I've got a bar with 12mm of rise, would going up to say 20mm of rise just mean removing one of the 10mm spacers from the stack..

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ignoring any back or upsweep effect (they may be different) then yes the rise just moves the grips higher and yes 10mm more rise can be countered with moving 10mm of spacer from below to above the stem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    If the set up of your bike is spot on then why go wider?

And yes, the combination of rise, sweep, width and stem length would mean that you still almost replicate your position but with the wider bars (reach would be wider but not as long).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    With wider bars you need to move the grips back to keep your torso in the same place, so shorter stem or more backsweep.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • core00
    core00 Posts: 169
    Q: regarding this as well, the higher the handlebar the front end will have less traction? I have 40mm rise (i know its quite high) but wondering what's the cons of having a higher rise bar?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Higher than ideal rise bar means less front end grip, less control over rough ground and more chance of the front lifting while climbing.
    The ideal height depends on the bike and riders proportions.
  • core00
    Higher than ideal rise bar means less front end grip, less control over rough ground and more chance of the front lifting while climbing.
    The ideal height depends on the bike and riders proportions.

I see, can you compensate the height by reducing the spacers? Though I agree when I climb the front-end lifts a little and I have less feel of it.
  • The Rookie
    As above, it's the height of the grips that matters, How they get to that height is irrelevant.
  • core00
    The Rookie wrote:
    As above, it's the height of the grips that matters, How they get to that height is irrelevant.

I see, so is there a way to get more traction in the front-end with this rise while climbing? I have a bizango and 5'7/8
  • The Rookie
    Technique! Learn to sit on the nose of the saddle and get your weight forward by rolling your elbows in (think tucking them in your tummy but you don't go that far).