Tour de Suisse ***Spoiler***

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Thought Sagan could have upped the pace and taken that last corner in the lead, but chose to stay on the EQS rider's wheel. Bit of poor design for what was always likely to be a sprint finish. Glad everyone stayed upright though.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Mechanism wrote:
    I was thinking that yesterday when Sagan attacked on the climb and they missed the opportunity to show his power.

Not sure the meters have enough digits to show that power - was pretty amazing for the end of a tour stage

And a Van Poppel Stoppie

27060068653_f69fcd3536_z.jpg

I do hope someone has a side-on image of that amazing piece of handling
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    A couple of seconds later, quite a good save

c2UySYO.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gaviria, my hero

Beaten by his lead out man...........................yet again. :oops: :lol:

Well it's good that he gets beaten by someone, his rivals can't manage it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gaviria, my hero

Beaten by his lead out man...........................yet again. :oops: :lol:

Well it's good that he gets beaten by someone, his rivals can't manage it.

Let me guess.
    Because he couldn't hold the wheel on stage 2 and got dropped on that little 3rd cat yesterday, losing twice in a row to third tier sprinter Sagan doesn't count?
    No wonder he never gets beaten by anybody.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    He's been injured. He also crashed 2 days ago. And he didn't compete in either of those two sprints.

He beat Sagan today freewheeling with his hands off the bars.
  • blazing_saddles
    Joelsim wrote:
    He's been injured. He also crashed 2 days ago. And he didn't compete in either of those two sprints.

He beat Sagan today freewheeling with his hands off the bars.

:lol:
    Just like I said.
    In that case, Sagan was hardly unimpeded today, so he didn't contest.
    #cherrypicker
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    This spoiler thread is missing something I.e. the stage result and any information about what happened. This seems to be a common theme on smaller races or dull stages of larger races recently. Lots of cryptic comments that the people watching might understand but meaningless to those who are trying to find out what actually happened! I'm guessing an EQS rider won but it wasn't Gavaria and that van Poppel had an incident towards the end. More to the point what happened to Matthews? I was hoping for a PTP stage hat trick.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pross wrote:
    This spoiler thread is missing something I.e. the stage result and any information about what happened. This seems to be a common theme on smaller races or dull stages of larger races recently. Lots of cryptic comments that the people watching might understand but meaningless to those who are trying to find out what actually happened! I'm guessing an EQS rider won but it wasn't Gavaria and that van Poppel had an incident towards the end. More to the point what happened to Matthews? I was hoping for a PTP stage hat trick.
    Seconded. Get it together you lot :P
  • joelsim
    adr82 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Seconded. Get it together you lot :P

Richeze won it. Gaviria was on his wheel with 50m to go, looked around, saw Richeze had Sagan (3rd) beaten and sat up, took his hands off the bars to celebrate and still beat Sagan.

No one else close, all 2 seconds back.
  • blazing_saddles
    Matthews nowhere in sight.
    Finished 35th.
    They had put in a 90 degree corner at just over 100 metres to go.
    Recipe for disaster.
    Only 4 riders tried to contest the sprint.
    The 2 Etix boys had the front.
    Sagan and DvP tried to pull a Porte, by coming up on the inside, but Gaviria shut the door on Sagan, who had to break sharpish.
    DvP, just behind locked up and did a front wheel wheelie. Lucky not to go over his bars. Saved it, but foot out and hit the barrier coming out. Left behind.
    Sagan had no speed coming out of the bend.
    Richeze won it at a canter.
    Sagan and he had words in the tent afterwards, but Eitx had the right of way in my book.
  • joelsim
    Cort was the chosen rider for OGE today anyway, saw it on Twatter during the race
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    DVP from another angle...

Ck7ik8PW0AAAdKU.jpg
  • RonB
    Comms don't like a show-off. Somehow he managed to get a penalty for that.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    ^?????
  • RonB
    DvP was relagated by the UCI judges for dangerous riding.
  • mechanism
    s5nAFb7.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,235
    RonB wrote:

:roll:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    RonB wrote:

Damn right... if he can't modulate he shouldn't be in the pro-peloton... :lol:
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    dish_dash wrote:
    RonB wrote:

Damn right... if he can't modulate he shouldn't be in the pro-peloton... :lol:

Obviously the improved modulation of disc brakes would have prevented this from happening :troll:
  • imatfaal
    Ck7jHkuXEAA1u8i.jpg

and the Silly sods relegated him for dangerous riding - no sanction for course designer putting 90 deg turn within last few hundred metres
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    From Greg Henderson's tweet it look like the CPA are planning on kicking up a fuss about that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    TBH I don't get the beef with the 90 degree turn... it's all part of the racing and if you start getting too prescriptive about the route then you risk ruling out various towns which might want to host a finish (remember that's a major factor that keeps races in business). Surely it's all about your skill as a good rider at the finish, otherwise sprint finishes just become drag races...

That said, I completely agree that races need basic safety in place - so no random bollards like the one Stetina rode into last year, clearly marked routes, and safe fencing etc.
  • imatfaal
    Sagan has crashed and was 40 sec down but has caught back up

And there is a 24 man breakawy with over a minute and a half

Matvey Mamykin (RUS/KAT), Riccardo Zoidl (AUT/TFS), Michael Mathews (AUS/OGE), Amets Txurruka (ESP/OGE), Darwin Atapuma (COL/BMC), Silvan Dillier (SUI/BMC), Ian Boswell (USA/SKY), David Lopez (ESP/SKY), Bram Tankink (NED/TLJ), Kristijan Durasek (CRO/LAM), Jan Polanc (SLO/LAM), Laurens Tean Dam (NED/TGA), Joseph Dombrowski (USA/CPT), Davide Vieilla (ITA/CPT), Tim Wellens (BEL/LTS), Kantstantin Siutsou (BRL/DDD), Natnael Berhane (ERI/DDD), Laurent Pichon (FRA/FDJ), Dries Devenyns (BEL/IAM), Hubert Dupont (FRA/ALM), Winner Anacona (COL/MOV), Pieter Weening (NED/ROP), Antwan Tolhoek (NED/ROP) und Michel Kreder (NED/ROP).
  • imatfaal
    Race has reached the foot of the climb to the Furkapass - Velon page is quite interesting; all now in the 300-500 W and 17-20km/h range - there is about 17km of this!
  • rick_chasey
    More I read about that punishment the more it's an absolute joke.
  • rick_chasey
    imatfaal wrote:
    Race has reached the foot of the climb to the Furkapass - Velon page is quite interesting; all now in the 300-500 W and 17-20km/h range - there is about 17km of this!

In English?
  • mechanism
    Here's a profile for stage 5

n0NdSL0.jpg
  • mechanism
    imatfaal wrote:

In English?

300 watts is about 0.4 horsepower or 221 foot pounds per second. Hope that helps.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:

In English?

working quite hard, going quite slowly and there is a long way to go. Screw Imperial measurements - useless and seemingly designed to confuse; SI is the way to go (my garmin shows m/s)