Race clothing quandry

Alex99
Alex99 Posts: 1,407
edited June 2016 in Amateur race
Hi all,

after getting cold in a race at the weekend, I'm thinking about what my best clothing options are .

It was about 12-13 degrees and rained constantly. Racing just short of two hours. I did the whole race in a normal jersey + ss base layer + arm warmer. Normal shorts. I thought about starting the race wearing more, but thought I'd be to hot. Wet through within 10 minutes. I was OK for the first half of the race, but by the end was borderline shivvering.

I see my main options as:

1) Add translucent gilet (so my numbers are still visible)
2) Get something like a Gabba (wear for the whole race with numbers on that)

Interested to see what people think the best option is and pros/cons.

Cheers

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I'm not racing, but like a lot of riders I have similar thoughts when heading out for a few hours in unpredictable conditions.

One problem is that 12 degrees doesn't always feel the same. If the sun is out and not much wind then 12 degrees can be quite warm, but if it's drizzling or raining and there's a northern wind, then 12 degrees can be pretty cold.

I suspect that both options would make a big difference in repeat conditions - but how often do you race in those conditions? Maybe you want to try to think which one would give you more flexibility for different conditions.
  • Alex99
    Singleton wrote:
    I'm not racing, but like a lot of riders I have similar thoughts when heading out for a few hours in unpredictable conditions.

One problem is that 12 degrees doesn't always feel the same. If the sun is out and not much wind then 12 degrees can be quite warm, but if it's drizzling or raining and there's a northern wind, then 12 degrees can be pretty cold.

I suspect that both options would make a big difference in repeat conditions - but how often do you race in those conditions? Maybe you want to try to think which one would give you more flexibility for different conditions.

How often in those conditions? Not too often tbh. Gilet is going to be the most flexible option. But the disadvantages that I can think of are: 1) they tend to be flappy in the wind, 2) race numbers still may not be very visible. Are these serious issues? Not sure.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What were other riders wearing ? Copy them ?
  • Alex99
    Fenix wrote:
    What were other riders wearing ? Copy them ?

Good point. The majority were in normal jerseys. A few in Gilets, at least one in a full jacket.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Warmer base layer is a good shout.
    Gore also do windstopper base layers which may be worth considering as well.
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    I'd not bother with a rain jacket, most tend to be too flappy and an aero penalty. I've raced in a Gabba fine and would use that if its really rainy/cold enough.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    +1 for the Rapha softshell baselayer. Ive never used it for a 'normal' ride only for racing when the weather has been crap and its been a really good bit of kit for that purpose because you can wear your normal club jersey over the top.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    When racing in the wet and cold I just wear 2 base layers and a jersey, usually a string vest type one and then a tight T-shirt type base layer, then a jersey, never been too cold but then again I don't usually feel the cold that much unless its winter.

I have an Exetondo jersey as well which is like the Gabba but a bit cheaper, its my go to bit of kit when the weather looks changeable, I really rate mine and will probably buy another one before the winter as I have used it so much in all conditions.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Haven't purely bicycle raced in the rain recently but the last duathlon I did was raining and foggy and very chilly - leg warmers, bib shorts, normal cycle top and a gilet.

After the first run I dumped the gilet and I was warm by then, no problems with getting cold from there. And I feel the cold being a skinny streak of wee.

Today was misty moisty and yukky so wore Perfetto, bib shorts and 3/4 lengths (Roubaix lined) and was too warm on the communt so would have boiled if I was racin'.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    i would say gilet as it is one of the few options you have that you could take off if weather got nicer or you got in a break or something and got too hot, I think even if wet i would find a gabba too warm in 12 degrees, did you use warm up balm on your legs? it keeps you warm and also rain rolls off it better, maybe a cap or even better a shell for your helmet? I have a lazer and the 'aero shell' is mega when its raining
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Get a Fawesome Gilet - it is Just packable and able to be put in a pocket but its a stretch. But its much more versatile than other Gilets and nowhere near as hot as a Gabba.
  • Alex99
    i would say gilet as it is one of the few options you have that you could take off if weather got nicer or you got in a break or something and got too hot, I think even if wet i would find a gabba too warm in 12 degrees, did you use warm up balm on your legs? it keeps you warm and also rain rolls off it better, maybe a cap or even better a shell for your helmet? I have a lazer and the 'aero shell' is mega when its raining

I had vasoline on my knees and thighs. Also, Kask Infinity helmet which I rode with the vent fully shut for the whole race. I was very glad to have this.
  • Alex99
    apreading wrote:
    Get a Fawesome Gilet - it is Just packable and able to be put in a pocket but its a stretch. But its much more versatile than other Gilets and nowhere near as hot as a Gabba.

I have just got a Fawesome, but didn't wear it because it would have covered my race numbers. I agree, it is a nice item of clothing. I suppose I could have put the numbers on the Fawesome.

I've got a selection of 'see through' gilets on order to try on. I hope one of them is a really nice fit.
  • Alex99
    +1 for the Rapha softshell baselayer. Ive never used it for a 'normal' ride only for racing when the weather has been crap and its been a really good bit of kit for that purpose because you can wear your normal club jersey over the top.

Deinitely another option. I've also considered wearing a light gilet inbetween a base layer and race jersey, which I guess would give a similar overall effect.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How would you take off the gilet in a race though if its under your race top ? Messy ?

Also think about your extremities. Maybe toe covers on the shoes or even full overshoes ? Aero benefit and keeping you warmer. Same with gloves too. Keep warmth in but easy enough to take off as you go.

I noticed the elite triathletes at Leeds mostly had toe covers on for their race - I'd not bother but they have zero fat.
  • Alex99
    Fenix wrote:
    How would you take off the gilet in a race though if its under your race top ? Messy ?

Also think about your extremities. Maybe toe covers on the shoes or even full overshoes ? Aero benefit and keeping you warmer. Same with gloves too. Keep warmth in but easy enough to take off as you go.

I noticed the elite triathletes at Leeds mostly had toe covers on for their race - I'd not bother but they have zero fat.

The gilet would be on for the duration. Essentially just adding a windproof front under the jersey.

I'm probably over-thinking this :roll:
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

The gilet would be on for the duration. Essentially just adding a windproof front under the jersey.

Thanks for the advice and discussion all. I have now got a Castelli Sottlie gilet (which is very transparent, very snug fit and very discounted 8) ), and some nanoflex arm warmers which I'll save for wet race days. Should see me good for a while.
  • apreading
    Alex99 wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Thanks for the advice and discussion all. I have now got a Castelli Sottlie gilet (which is very transparent, very snug fit and very discounted 8) ), and some nanoflex arm warmers which I'll save for wet race days. Should see me good for a while.

That is a very attractive option - I have a short sleeve Sottile as I figure if it rains the sleeves will stop water running inside like it might with a gilet. Got it for next to no money. Funny thing is though that every time I have taken it out, I end up not needing it and it comes back in the pocket at the end of the ride. So thats a good thing, but means that I havent really tested it yet. This may be in part because if rain is really likely, I will take my fawesome or some other waterproof option - I only take it on days when its 'just in case'.
  • Alex99
    apreading wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

That is a very attractive option - I have a short sleeve Sottile as I figure if it rains the sleeves will stop water running inside like it might with a gilet. Got it for next to no money. Funny thing is though that every time I have taken it out, I end up not needing it and it comes back in the pocket at the end of the ride. So thats a good thing, but means that I havent really tested it yet. This may be in part because if rain is really likely, I will take my fawesome or some other waterproof option - I only take it on days when its 'just in case'.

Interesting, I was looking for the short sleever version which seems like a nice idea (functionally a pocketable Gabba), but I think they are discontinued. I'm not sure I'll wear the Sottile gilet outside of racing as I have either of my Fawesome, or a full jacket.
  • apreading
    You can still get the short sleeve if you want large or XL, but yes - they seem to have been discontinued and selling off old stock for the last 12 months.