Problem with front derailer rubbing Giant Trance 2015 Shimano SLX

mtbmaniak
mtbmaniak Posts: 10
edited July 2016 in MTB general
So I have this problem when I hear noise on derailer, the bottom of the bracket is rubbing on the chain....and I tried to lover the bracket, nothing happens....

I am sure this is not giant flaw, they did not make it that way, or they did, the bike is pretty new

here is video where I explain my problem, if somebody can help I would appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiCAnc ... e=youtu.be

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    First of all look at a YouTube tutorial on how to index your gears.
    Secondly, you are not even supposed to be in a small front ring while in a small cog, this just stresses the chain. So, it's a matter of indexing your gears and then just not shifting into the gears that make the chain crooked, the bike isn't designed for that.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • mtbmaniak
    can you post videos that I should watch? You mean setting up front derailer? I watched many videos....already...
  • mtbmaniak
    I really do not believe that you cant use small cogs at the same time....and that the metal plate that pushes the chain should not be lower down so the chain would not rub at the bottom, it is a 2000 usd bike......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited June 2016
    The others are right. What you believe is immaterial.
    The same ratio is available using other cogs. Ideally the large ring should be fine on the 5 or 6 smallest cogs, the middle on all, and the small on the largest 5 or 6. But individual set ups may vary. That's just how it is.

Apart from noise, rubbing and general pointlessness, severe cross chaining will also wreck the chain quickly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    and that the metal plate that pushes the chain should not be lower down so the chain would not rub at the bottom,

It won't do it when your sat on the bike and it's sat/sagged into it's travel.

I really do not believe that you cant use small cogs at the same time

As others have pointed out, you should avoid gear extremes, it's bad practice, inefficient, and will cause premature drivetrain wear, but do what you want, it's your bike.

..and your rear mechs broke send it back.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    more importantly, why the hell do you even have a front derailleur, its all a bit 1990s to me!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    mtbmaniak wrote:
    can you post videos that I should watch? You mean setting up front derailer? I watched many videos....already...

you can watch video from MBR, I always find that guy explains things well, but you still will have the same problem that you having now as the front mech is not design to run front on lower ring with rear on lower ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7DR6efyEY
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    mtbmaniak wrote:

The rear suspension is unsagged in the video.

When you sit on the bike the rear suspension will sag.

When the rear suspension sags the chain will be higher in the front derailleur and will not be rubbing on the bottom of the derailleur cage like it is.