Alu Alloy Chainrings?

Eugbug
Eugbug Posts: 13
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
So I need a new 32t middle chainring. Replaced chain (overdue), but it slipped. Replaced freewheel and slipping was much improved but it's still slipping on the middle chainring when I put my "pedal to the metal" on start off. So it seems the trend (or so I've been told) is that middle and largest chainrings are now made of alu alloy. Since my existing steel ring only lasted 1500 to 2000 miles, what hope have I got with an aluminium one? Should I buy a totally new crankset? The one I got the year before last was a Shimano type with all steel rings.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why buy a crankset when you can just swap the rings, you could just buy a steel replacement?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Eugbug
    Eugbug Posts: 13
    That's what I had intended to do. Have had a quick shop around, but are steel rings readily available? Other than bolt circle diameter and number of teeth, do I need any other info?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes readily available, just bcd and number of bolts, just occasionally you may have to file the tabs on the chainrings as the diameter of the location is slightly different.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.