Tour de Suisse ***Spoiler***

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited June 2016 in Pro race
20j63ch.png

Today's stage looks a bit like a circuit designed for Sagan, but others will feel they are in with a shout inc Matthews, Gilbert, Albasini and every chance that Fabs will try to hold on to the leaders jersey for at least one more day in his last "home" race.

(I'm happy to merge this thread with the one showing the pics from the prologue if that helps)

Comments

• RonB
    Stage already underway. A busy day of racing today, but according to the schedules, the Dauphiné will be over before the coverage of today's TdS stage starts.
  • RonB
    Around 40km to go, weather looks rubbish. A 4 man break has just 40 secs on the peloton - Krizek, Tolhoek, Wyss and Minard.
  • RonB
    Today's stage ended in a bunch sprint -

CkwwD2kUYAAcXTC.jpg

Gesink DNF after a fall during the race. Not certain how serious this might be and his chances to recover for TdF. Latest reports are that he "lost large parts of the day", which suggests that he has some sort of concussion :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Oh f*ck - Gesink?
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    edited June 2016
    All that talk about realtime rider data etc but, unless I'm missing something, no way to watch most stages live in the UK except on Eurosport Player*.

*Starts at 2:50pm BST and apparently includes commentary.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    So on the Gesink crash - he can't remember a thing about it. He can barely remember anything about the entire day. Landed clean on his head. He's not optimistic about the Tour.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    thats not good at all. :(
  • RonB
    edited June 2016
    tour_de_suisse_stage_3_profile.jpg

S3 underway. Same contenders as yesterday (probably). 100km to go and a break has formed. Dillier, Bystom, Rast, Hayman, Samoilau, Pires, Tolhoek and Duijn have 5'16" on the main field.
  • RonB
    20km to go and we're down to 4 leaders as Tolhoek drops back after securing the KOM jersey for today. A much reduced peloton are just 35" behind. Weather foul.
  • RonB
    edited June 2016
    Massive effort by Sagan to just ride off the front of the chasing group to try and join the leaders.

10km left and Albasini, Sagan and Dillier are in front. No organisation from the ones left behind.
  • mechanism
    Wet, wet, wet and some power data just before Sagan's attack

8XKFjeM.jpg
  • RonB
    Peloton really strung out behind suggesting they're putting some effort in. The leaders might get caught now, just 3.5km to go.
  • RonB
    8" gap as we go into the last km.
  • RonB
    No-one could stop Sagan winning that one, Albasini went early but he powered past, takes a 10s bonus and the yellow jersey. V impressive.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    I have no idea what Albasini thought he was doing on that run in, why he didn't just sit on from the minute Sagan caught them or the subsequent attack I'll never know.

Quite big time gaps though, not sure how the gc guys fared but G finished fine.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Impressive from Sagan. Another win for the world champion.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Impressive from Sagan. Another win for the world champion.
    And for my PTP - hoping to regain form following the Dauphine.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    There look some big mountains ahead so I suspect the climbers are keeping their powder dry. The Rettenbachferner is an utter brute - a bit like putting the Mortirolo at the altitude of the Stelvio.

Rettenbachferner-Solden_profile.jpg
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    jam1e wrote:
    I have no idea what Albasini thought he was doing on that run in, why he didn't just sit on from the minute Sagan caught them or the subsequent attack I'll never know.

Quite big time gaps though, not sure how the gc guys fared but G finished fine.

This. Mathews in the group behind, and Alba was pulling like a train.

With somewhat predictable consequences... :evil:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Sagan's strength is incredible, probably no need to attack as he'd have been favourite in a sprint but he just seems to be enjoying racing for the fun of it. I'd started to find him a bit tedious in the last couple of seasons but he's fast turning back into a favourite.
  • thchris1958
    thchris1958 Posts: 117
    Mechanism wrote:
    All that talk about realtime rider data etc but, unless I'm missing something, no way to watch most stages live in the UK except on Eurosport Player*.

not on the tv screen but on your iphone https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/v ... 1098777656

https://twitter.com/TeamSky/status/742340638411227136
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Stage 4 passing the town of Soloturn (68 kms).
    have a margin of 3 minutes 55 seconds to the bunch.

Matthew Brammeier (IRL/DDD),
    Jérémy Maison (FRA/FDJ),
    Lukas Jaun (SUI/ROT)
    Nick Van der Lijcke (NED/ROP) -

The riders are 20 minutes behind the slowest time table.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mechanism wrote:

not on the tv screen but on your iphone https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/v ... 1098777656

https://twitter.com/TeamSky/status/742340638411227136

Here you go

http://cyclinghub.tv/livestream.php
  • mechanism
    My point was that getting your race shown live on TV should be your first priority (whether its Velon or TdS or whoever); extras like the live data are nice but less important.

As it turns out Eurosport did put it on ES2 yesterday instead of tennis and same again today.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Not sure the Velon stats are really working yet - knowing that Albasini had a heatbeat of 71 and no power whilst freewheeling in the middle of peleton was not that exhilarating apart from a demonstration of the importance of slipstreaming
  • mechanism
    I was thinking that yesterday when Sagan attacked on the climb and they missed the opportunity to show his power.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    DVP amazingly lucky on that sprint!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Gaviria, my hero
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Stoppie!!! Never seen that on a road bike - they were doing it on the TT celebrations but not at 80km/h with the prospect of t-boning the world champion.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gaviria, my hero

Beaten by his lead out man...........................yet again. :oops: :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.