Criterium du Dauphine stage 7 **Spoiler*

124»

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    I always felt that he was mostly another hyped Frenchman in the Rolland mode, while Pinot was the real deal but lacking belief. I'm now starting to think that Bardet will surpass Pinot.

Fwiw, I remember watching the final TT in 2014 and thinking that - as far as their build was concerned - Pinot had a much more mature musculature, while Bardet still looked like a young lad in comparison.

Made me think that Bardet was the one with more potential to improve, though Pinot is still the one who has impressed me more as a GC rider - dealing with his fear of descending; improving his TT - and their is still room to improve; increased maturity and confidence in a leadership role.

Tldr; I'm still not sure either. Though I do get the impression Bardet is a bit of an outsider on his team, while Pinot has been handpicking his doms etc.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Though AG2R did great work for him, especially on the Meribel stage

Might need to change teams to get the team set-up to truly be able to contend the Tour, mind (rather than a top 6 place)
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    What was Porte doing ? He should have been in Martin and Bardet wheel from 2k out , not hanging at the back.
  • The_Boy
    Though AG2R did great work for him, especially on the Meribel stage

They did, but there were some frayed tempers on show a couple of times - Vuillermoz seemed openly unimpressed after their coming together and Bakelants looked unhappy with him on the Meribel stage. I don't think that the team are somehow lacking in belief in him or anything, but I just get the impression that he's a bit of an outsider - seems to do his own thing a lot as far as training is concerned, etc.

Possibly a bit of an awkward personality, not a natural leader iyswim. Or perhaps I'm just reading something into nothing.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Re: Porte, I thought he was tactically naive throughout the whole race - and the finale was simply another example of that.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    He sure didn't ride a team leader's race that's for sure.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    philbar72 wrote:
    Bardet needs to go stage hunting in the tour, I'd say. he's not quite good enough to keep up with Froome, Quintana, or Contador over 3 weeks.

Great result for Dan Martin. first Irish podium at the Dauphine is no mean feat.

I very much doubt he would think that way - he's a GC rider and you ride for GC whatever the opposition. A lot of variables in a 3 week tour and he is showing consistency

Fair enough. but I still think he's coming up short compared to the genuine players, as in he's not as good a climber as Quintana, nowhere near as good a time triallist as Froome etc. fighting for 5th place or whatever would surely be a bit soul destroying...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Bo Duke wrote:
    He sure didn't ride a team leader's race that's for sure.

still thinks he's Froomes Domestique?
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Double post.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • The_Boy wrote:
    Though AG2R did great work for him, especially on the Meribel stage

They did, but there were some frayed tempers on show a couple of times - Vuillermoz seemed openly unimpressed after their coming together and Bakelants looked unhappy with him on the Meribel stage. I don't think that the team are somehow lacking in belief in him or anything, but I just get the impression that he's a bit of an outsider - seems to do his own thing a lot as far as training is concerned, etc.

Possibly a bit of an awkward personality, not a natural leader iyswim. Or perhaps I'm just reading something into nothing.

Ta. I missed all this shizz
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    So we are all agreed, partisanship aside, it was a bit of a snooze Dauphine?

Feel like Sky had the race in the sleeper hold for most of the race, and they gave the victim just enough air to have the odd lucid dream every now and then.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Feel like Sky had the race in the sleeper hold for most of the race, and they just gave the victim enough air to have the odd lucid dream every now and then.

Not really. Pinot wasn't firing, Bardet looked decent, Contador isn't a TdF threat, Porte rode well but lacks a bit of nous.

And Quintana wasn't there so Froome's only TdF rival (barring accident or illness) can't be measured.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'd describe it as a decent highlights watch.

Only watched one stage live, it was a bit dull, but watching the highlights each evening was entertaining enough.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Yep. I think Rich billed it as the Team Sky benefit race in the PTP OP.

It seems no other team has the ability or inclination to prevent it being a Sky training race where they get to run through a few race scenarios.
  • The_Boy
    wrong thread.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Feel like Sky had the race in the sleeper hold for most of the race, and they gave the victim just enough air to have the odd lucid dream every now and then.
    I disagree. It may be have been as good as the last two editions, which were each the best stage race of the year, but there was plenty to enjoy. Only the EBH stage was non-descript. Sky may have had a comfortable grip on the GC but we had Aru, Bardet & Pinot, Cummings, Katusha v Cofidis, a climber's prologue, a close podium fight.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    Interesting prologue; the first uphill finish was a great wee stage; Bardet & Pinot in particular was fun, but regardless that was another great stage; minor places on GC being decided on the last day; sneak peek at where most of the GC riders are at form wise.

All in all it was a decent week, imo.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    RichN95 wrote:

I disagree. It may be have been as good as the last two editions, which were each the best stage race of the year, but there was plenty to enjoy. Only the EBH stage was non-descript. Sky may have had a comfortable grip on the GC but we had Aru, Bardet & Pinot, Cummings, Katusha v Cofidis, a climber's prologue, a close podium fight.

I fear I may be becoming more like Iain.

None of that really sets my pants on fire. Bardet and Pinot? Come on. Second toughest in the infants squabbling over a stage Sky let 'em have.

Cummings was decent but hardly scintillating. If it was a Spaniard you'd have been snoozing too.

Katusha v cofidis was a mere murmur in the sleepy stupor and the prologue was just a bit bizarre and put the race out of the reach of too many people too soon.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I know what you mean Rick but that's us isn't - not the race - we've all seen so much cycling that we've developed a tolerance - unless it's Quintana vs Froome vs Contador in the Tour or it's Boonen vs Cancellera at Roubaix or Flanders then it doesn't quite do it any more.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]