Lighter alternative to Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance 27.5

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

I've got an anthem 27.5, that came stock with Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance 2.25 tyres, weighing in at a hefty 590 grams each, and stock Giant P-XC2 wheels, which also weigh a hefty 2 kilos combined...

i'm looking to shed some weight, and plan to get Stan's Crest wheels with Hope Evo 2 hubs....but I need some advice on lighter but good tyres? I plan to go tubeless...

I almost only ride in dry conditions, and at a fairly slow pace, and do not do anything super technical....

Any thoughts would be great...

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    590g is not hefty..... Schwalbe are normally among the lightest tyre options.
    Buy the higher quality version of the same and you might save 50g a tyre, though the better compound will help grip and they are tubeless ready .
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Go to the Pacestar or Trailstar and they come in a bit lighter than the cheaper performance. My 26" Ralph is about 460g, so a 27.5 should be about 500g tops. Also have a look at what sidewall it is, the tougher it is the heavier they weigh!

Or look at Thunder Burts!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Rons are lighter than Ralphs too, and yes Burts are excellent in the dry.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I had Racing Ralphs on my Anthem X2 and find them very fast rolling - loved them, however when I converted them to tubeless there were very easy to puncture.

Am currently on pair of Bontrager's but they are not even close to RR in terms of rolling etc.

Plan to get back to RR but (as advised here) going for Snakeskin version of Ralph's.

Dont think 200g here and there will make much difference if you/me dont race.

Personally I would stick to RR's

C.
  • ArnieB
    ArnieB Posts: 16
    Schwalbe tyres are amongst the lightest of the main brands. Go for pacestar for the fastest version of the tyre. Personally I get the snakeskin version as the sightly higher weight more than offsets the greater puncture protection.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If you're a mega weight weeny get the Liteskin versions.