Best way to follow Strava maps?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited June 2016 in MTB general
Evening all

Did a group ride a few weeks back and saved it to Strava. I want to do the same route tomorrow, what's the best way to follow the route from Strava - does Strava have a "sat nav" function or is it just a case of keep stopping and looking at the Strava app????

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    JGTR wrote:
    Evening all

Did a group ride a few weeks back and saved it to Strava. I want to do the same route tomorrow, what's the best way to follow the route from Strava - does Strava have a "sat nav" function or is it just a case of keep stopping and looking at the Strava app????

Thanks

Jay

Stop being tight and pay for it, can download the GPX then.
  • JGTR
    Briggo wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Evening all

Thanks

Jay

Stop being tight and pay for it, can download the GPX then.

Pay for what??? And what would I get?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can create a route on Strava but as far as I can make out you can't import a gpx file and have to enter it manually, it then gives decent route guidance. Not sure if it's different if you pay for premiere.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    JGTR wrote:
    Pay for what??? And what would I get?

Pay for Strava and you can download rides that have been completed by you/friends etc as a GPX then load that up onto a 'Satnav' like Viewranger.
  • JGTR
    Thanks, sounds like a proper faff, I only want it for one particular area so maybe I'll just get out and ride it some more and learn the routes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You don't need to pay for it to download the gpx files. Click on the spanner on the ride page on the desktop version.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I don't see that option with the spanner on mine as a non-Premium user, just a downarrow and "GPX" (on the map) which (if I click it) then tells me I need Premium.

However, if you use Chrome as a browser you can use the "StravistiX for Strava" extensions which then does add that functionality for non-premium users, as well as some other nice features (no connection to the extension developer, just a happy user).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'm a non premium user:
    strava_zpsdpfauzcv.jpg
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Doh! Of course, you're referring to your own rides. Me=Idiot.

I was getting ahead of myself and thinking the OP wanted to follow other people's routes. Which IS a premium feature, but can be worked around by the extension I linked to.

HTH!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)