Chamois cream

macs
macs Posts: 209
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
I know what chamois cream is but are there any that are better at healing?

Did a long and bumpy ride this weekend without any and I'm sore 'down' to say the least. So thought I'd get some that was good at healing too.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    if they actively affected healing of damaged skin - i.e. accelerated breakdown of damaged tissue together with faster cell growth to replace it - i think they'd need to be classed as drugs and regulated

what's important is one that reduces friction, doesn't irritate your skin, lasts the whole ride even if it's baking hot, and perhaps is mildly antiseptic, i use the assos one, it works for me

end of ride, wash and dry
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Germolene is great for healing sore spots, chafing and stopping little pimples get bigger after long rides. It's antiseptic and mildly anaesthetic. I've done lots of multi-day tours in hot conditions and find Germolene excellent for after-ride soothing while Assos is my favourite for application before and during rides.
  • Wheat germ oil is great for chaffed skin. Assos, Chamois Butr or Bristol Butr for during rides.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    hydrocortisone (Or any other steroid cream) - will sting++ for a few seconds when you first apply it, but will cure it overnight, perhaps 2 nights if its bad.

if you dont have any, look for "Bee sting cream" etc as this often has steroid in it.

i have a tube of very strong steroid cream, about 2 years out of date - a small smear / dab of that on any saddle chafing, and its gone by the morning 99-times-out-of-a-hundred

[disclaimer - not a doctor! not offering medical advice! etc etc]
  • macs
    Secteur wrote:
    hydrocortisone (Or any other steroid cream) - will sting++ for a few seconds when you first apply it, but will cure it overnight, perhaps 2 nights if its bad.

if you dont have any, look for "Bee sting cream" etc as this often has steroid in it.

i have a tube of very strong steroid cream, about 2 years out of date - a small smear / dab of that on any saddle chafing, and its gone by the morning 99-times-out-of-a-hundred

[disclaimer - not a doctor! not offering medical advice! etc etc]

Thanks. I have some 1% hc cream. I'm not sure if that's strong or not but I'll give it a go. When you say it'll string for a few seconds, is it only 5 seconds or is it more like a minute or 2?
  • Secteur
    1% fine

5 seconds
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Sudocrem. It's pure magic at healing things up but I haven't tried it as a chamois cream while riding.
  • macs
    Secteur wrote:
    1% fine

5 seconds

A small smear applied tonight. If it works I'll be very grateful for this tip as we have plenty of hc cream as both kids have excema so had several prescriptions for the stuff.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    topcattim wrote:
    Sudocrem. It's pure magic at healing things up but I haven't tried it as a chamois cream while riding.
    Agree, but it's cr*p as chamois cream - i tried it and it's too 'thick'
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I think the idea of chamois cream is that if you use it, you are not supposed to get sore and thus do not need healing. You therefore need to get the current problem sorted out and, after that, use chamois cream to stop it happening again. FWIW, my vote goes to the Assos stuff as well.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    +1 for Sudocrem. Designed for nappy rash so very similar symptoms. My mother-in-law used to swear by egg white for curing nappy rash* - we never tried it with our kids so can't comment, but Sudocrem is good for most ailments in delicate areas.

* Disclaimer - my mother-in-law is an idiot so best not to heed any advice from her.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 447
    Maybe it's just me but I would be nervous of using hydrocortisone cream on a regular basis, it is powerful stuff and while it can be very effective it does have side effects. I'd say only use it if Sudocrem or Germolene doesn't do the job. ps I'm not a doctor either, but I do occasionally have to use hydrocortisone cream to help subdue an allergic reaction to the sun, I try to avoid exposing the affected areas these days so that I don't have to use it.
  • Secteur
    Maybe it's just me but I would be nervous of using hydrocortisone cream on a regular basis

I didnt suggest this.

I suggested its use purely as a quick acting salve for areas which have become chafed, not as a regular use chamois cream!

Use of decent chamois cream (Assos seems to be the best) will prevent the chafing in the first place.

having said that, i never use chmois cream and only rarely every get chafing, typically needing to use a single application of steroid cream maybe once every 2 months or so as a "Rescue treatment".
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    Yes... Assos Skin Repair Gel.
    Had saddle sores, Sudocrem didnt heal them but helped slightly. The Assos gel sorted them in 2 weeks even whilst still riding 275km/week.
    To be fair, maybe the new Assos S7 equipe shorts helped too, screw you Castelli
  • Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    I use DZ Nuts which also has a mild antiseptic in it, as well as a cooling agent which is kinda nice depending on how you feel about that.
  • DZ Nuts is great, one of the few I reckon are better than assos (Bristolbutr is another) but it is expensive.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pretty sure a new brand comes out once a week. Along with wondrous claims.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    dennisn wrote:

yep

how's the leg doing now, back on the bike yet?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mercia_man
    I think it's important to differentiate between chamois creams and healing products. Chamois creams such as Assos are great for reducing friction, chafing and overheating. But if you ride long enough for consecutive days you run the risk of little pimples developing into painful spots and eventually full-blown boils - a problem which has affected the performance of many pro riders. Moving position on the bike helps but the problem is that a lot of your weight is concentrated on a couple of pressure points where you are in contact with the saddle.

A healing product will help relieve saddle soreness and stop it developing into something worse, as will scrupulous cleaning of body and shorts. So antiseptic and anaesthetic products like Germolene, Savlon and (if you are willing to spend more money) Assos Skin Repair Gel are the things I would suggest the OP considers for post-ride care.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Bepanthan worked for me when I got a little sore. Stopped riding for a few days too to allow time to heal.
    Mind you, it is all I had in the cupboard after having my tattoos done!
  • DanielCoffey
    DanielCoffey Posts: 142
    Have a look at Conotrane Cream for post-ride use too. It is much lighter than Sudocrem, is mildly antiseptic and does not contain steroids.

It is usually offered for nappy rash and for adults who need care at home. It goes on lightly, rubs in well and does not leave the heavy greasy residue that Sudocrem does.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

yep

how's the leg doing now, back on the bike yet?
    Fine and yes. Thanx for asking.
  • Metanium cream is excellent at healing . I would avoid hydrocortisone as it can actually end up thinning the skin ( with prolonged use ) with many creams people put far too much on. I am a nurse by the way.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    topcattim wrote:
    +1.... I wouldn't use it for a ride, only for post ride healing.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mercia_man
    Metanium cream is excellent at healing . I would avoid hydrocortisone as it can actually end up thinning the skin ( with prolonged use ) with many creams people put far too much on. I am a nurse by the way.

Just read a good discussion about metanium v sudocrem on mumsnet. The verdict is that sudocrem is fine for day to day use to avoid soreness but metanium is fantastic for healing. I reckon metanium could be just the thing cyclists are looking for. Am off to buy some.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for sudocream, or other nappy creams like bepanthen for healing soreness *after* a ride.

For Chamois cream *during* a ride, I found bag balm works well, its also used on a cow's udder :shock:

bagbalm1.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    That looks like used chip fat.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Webboo wrote:
    That looks like used chip fat.

That's why I ended up with deep fried sausage and two pickled onions!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Have you tried breadcrumbs in your batter or even beer.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Another vote for sudocreme for helping things heal. Chamois crème im still using a pot I got in a planet bundle smells lovely a little goes a long way.

Weirdly my friend never uses the stuff, but he is a full on shave everything weirdo so we can dismiss him.