Padded shorts

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
I haven't got any yet. Any advice on what to go for?

Comments

• Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    The Endura Hummvee range seem to get lots of praise, can get them for between £40-£50 and sometimes even cheaper if your willing to shop around or wait for discounts and deals. I got a pair a few weeks ago and really cant recommend them enough, build quality and comfort are fantastic!!

I have a pair of Muddy Fox ones (Sports Direct - £12 when I bought them) and although they don't compare to others like the Hummvee they are a reasonable "cheap" short which perform decent enough on shorter rides.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decathlon have a good range of padded liner shorts at decent prices.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Neither. You really won't want either of them in summer.
  • Ross Gardner
    OK, so which ones do you think then?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-padded-c ... 26007.html

These?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Endura MT500
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    OK, so which ones do you think then?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-padded-c ... 26007.html

These?

Go have a look to decathlon if you can first. , I just got the 500 version but in undershorts version to use with any shorts, with decathlon padding the higher number the more padding you get for longer rides. £10 for one of them and try it out, feeling is bit odd, if you want to find out how is odd just stuck a dipper between your legs.
  • Ross Gardner
    Endura MT500

There are lots of different MT 500s.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod19368

I guess you mean these?
    ade555 wrote:
    if you want to find out how is odd just stuck a dipper between your legs.

DIpper? What do you mean?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Hummvee Shorts. Great shorts, even though they have too many pointless pockets, that are very comfortable and last for years. They come with a 'clik-fast' liner but can be worn over any liner or on their own.

The three quarter ones are good for winter but can be a bit hot in summer.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    I thought he was asking for padded shorts not outer shorts with a padded liner?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ross Gardner
    Liners offer less protection than padded shorts, yes?

Then I'm after padded.
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Endura MT500

There are lots of different MT 500s.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod19368

I guess you mean these?
    ade555 wrote:
    if you want to find out how is odd just stuck a dipper between your legs.

DIpper? What do you mean?

What I mean is have a look how much pudding you going for, thicker padding could offer more comfort on longer rides. , to much padding could be lot worse, is not natural thing having something between legs. Try some product before you go out and spend few pounds. You may not like it. I have some and I do ware it if I go on very rough ground otherwise they staying in home. Everyone is different some may like it others won't.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Liners offer less protection than padded shorts, yes?

Then I'm after padded.

A liner = 'padded shorts', same thing just a liner usually integrates with the outer baggy shorts, for example as mentioned the click fast system on Endura.

You wear the liner/padded shorts under the shorts, you don't have to get an integrated system. I wear Altura Pro Gel under shorts (liner/padded shorts) under whatever baggy shorts I feel the weather needs - Endura MTRs, Endura Humvees, Endura MT500, Gore Alp X, Altura Attacks are in my wardrobe of various guises.

As mentioned just get some of the most padded decathlon padded shorts/under shorts/liner whatever you want to call them and put them on under your actual baggy shorts, or dont and just wear the liner/padded shorts/under shorts on their own in a lycra wearing roadie fashion.
  • Ross Gardner
    ade555 wrote:
    thicker padding could offer more comfort on longer rides. , to much padding could be lot worse, is not natural thing having something between legs. Try some product before you go out and spend few pounds. You may not like it. I have some and I do ware it if I go on very rough ground otherwise they staying in home. Everyone is different some may like it others won't.

So get outer shorts with a padded liner included, or padded liners and outer shorts for short rides.

And padded shorts for long ones.
    Briggo wrote:
    A liner = 'padded shorts', same thing just a liner usually integrates with the outer baggy shorts, for example as mentioned the click fast system on Endura.

The Rookie confused me: sorry.
    Briggo wrote:
    You wear the liner/padded shorts under the shorts, you don't have to get an integrated system. I wear Altura Pro Gel under shorts (liner/padded shorts) under whatever baggy shorts I feel the weather needs - Endura MTRs, Endura Humvees, Endura MT500, Gore Alp X, Altura Attacks are in my wardrobe of various guises.

Lots of shorts...

Quick question: what kind of underwear (if at all) do you recommend wearing with these shorts (maybe the ones with liners you don't need to)?
  • Briggo
    I wouldn't wear any underwear with any under shorts liners or separate padded ones.

Causes chaffing, an extra layer of unwanted sweat bag.
  • The Rookie
    You can wear padded Lycra shorts by themselves or under baggies, some baggies like the humvee come with a liner which is in effect a padded short though some aren't really suitable to be worn on their own. I buy the padded shorts I want and then put them under the baggies I'm wearing that suite that ride.
  • Ross Gardner
    Briggo wrote:
    Endura MT500

I'm getting these. I go for the Spray and not the waterproof, right (Spray being better for Summer weather)?
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:
    Endura MT500

I'm getting these. I go for the Spray and not the waterproof, right (Spray being better for Summer weather)?

Aye, where the bottom panel which gets covered in water is waterproof but the top half isnt and has 2 great big zip vents.

They were great round Hebden today, it was perfect weather for them - drizzly but warm
  • Ross Gardner
    My Altura pro gel padding has fallen to bits after a year or so. Is this normal with padded shorts?
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    My kind Mrs just bought me a pair of Muddyfox Urban shorts for the total steal price of £17 from the local Sports Direct shop. Theyre great quality, have a inner short and pad, zipped pockets and look well cool even for a MAMIL like me.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will