35mm cyclocross tyre vs 28/25mm road tyre

Tony Chopper-Kun
Tony Chopper-Kun Posts: 58
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-cyc ... g-cx-tyre/

it weighs 350g, 85psi, 150 tpi, folding tyre.

and

28mm road tyre, 250g, 100psi, 150 tpi, folding tyre,

25mm road tyre, 230-240g, 100-130psi, 150 tpi, folding tyre.

If i ride 35mm as fast as up to 20mph for 1 hour commuting, does it not worth risking using skinny tyre 25/28mm against crashing / skidding / no grip on traction? how about 1 hour 30mins?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ride whatever feels best for you, personally for a decent length commute I'd go 28 or 32mm, 35mm is going to start pushing up aero resistance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Ride whatever feels best for you, personally for a decent length commute I'd go 28 or 32mm, 35mm is going to start pushing up aero resistance.

Does 32mm look wide enough for road tyre? The last time I tried it, it is thin and less likely to roll smooth and safe on rough road.
  • The Rookie
    25mm is wide enough, so yes a 32mm certainly is, not sure what you tried or how, as a 32mm is a decent compromise tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    25mm is wide enough, so yes a 32mm certainly is, not sure what you tried or how, as a 32mm is a decent compromise tyre.

32mm doesn't look wide to me, something like tree small branches is still a hazard to this width, and it is a road tyre for hybrid bike, especially gravel on road and corning with a piece of mind for safety.
  • The Rookie
    Only you know how and where you ride, but on any normal commute route I'd happily use a 32mm, I wouldn't use a 28mm on mine as the country roads have a very rough surface and it makes for a 'fussy'/'buzzy' ride and 25's are downright uncomfortable, but for other debris I just use the Mk1 Eyeball as some of the stuff I wouldn't ride into on my 2.25" MTB tyres.
  • I use a schwalbe durano 28c for my commute. Previously I was running 25c which I found was a little harsh for commuting on.

The 28c has a little more give to it in my opinion
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    My hunch is fast CX tyres will be well fast, and fast road slicks will be fast.

My CX bike with a far less aero postion and racing Ralph's is within a few seconds of the fastest times on the road bike. On all 1-3 mile segments I've cared to look.