Bird Aeris or Airdrop Edit - Trail / BikePark

Big_Jack
Big_Jack Posts: 82
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have been starting to ride more aggressive terrain (e.g. BikeParkWales) lately and my Bird Zero, as much as I love it, feels pretty uncomfortable over the rough stuff and jumps, so I reckon it's time to upgrade to a full susser.

I have been looking at something like the Bird Aerishttp://shop.birdmtb.com/aeris/aeris-nx.html or the Airdrop Edit http://www.airdropbikes.com/collections/bikes/products/airdrop-edit-trail.

I am not really sure what the differences will be between the two - perhaps the Edit is more 'heavy duty''? I can probably get an Aeris for a couple of hundred cheaper than the Edit but I am happy to save the extra if I prefer the bike.

The trails around home are generally mostly XC style with some rough stuff, and locally I ride in Swinley Forest, but I am keen to start rougher terrain such as BPW more often.

Any advice appreciated! Apologies for the vague question Any other contenders welcome, too - max budget £2500.

Thanks all,

Jack

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    The Aeris will pretty much take whatever you throw at it so I wouldn't be concerned what I can or can't handle for most UK riding.

Not at all familiar with Airdrop in terms of what the bikes are like so can't give you a comparison but having an Aeris it's good to use across a big range of trails with it'd adjustable rear travel.

If you enjoyed the feel and fun of the Zero then the Aeris really retains that experience.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Big_Jack
    The Aeris will pretty much take whatever you throw at it so I wouldn't be concerned what I can or can't handle for most UK riding.

Not at all familiar with Airdrop in terms of what the bikes are like so can't give you a comparison but having an Aeris it's good to use across a big range of trails with it'd adjustable rear travel.

If you enjoyed the feel and fun of the Zero then the Aeris really retains that experience.

Cheers for the in depth reply! It was my initial choice but then I heard about the edit and had to consider it, too. I can get a slightly better spec for the price with the aeris.

The airdrop guys suggested the aeris feels like you're on it whereas the edit feels like you're in it.. Maybe that's hype. Though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Bird warranty is certainly better, and you know what other famous fruity brand comes from Sheffield...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    Big_Jack wrote:
    The airdrop guys suggested the aeris feels like you're on it whereas the edit feels like you're in it.. Maybe that's hype. Though
    I wonder whether he's ridden an Aeris as its one of the more longer bikes on offer. Comparing the geometry there's very little between with the edit having 4mm more reach so I would take that comment with a pinch of salt tbh.

Only way to be sure is if you are able to demo them.
  • Big_Jack
    Pinch of salt is my default, although it does have a 10mm lower bottom bracket, but I'm unsure whether this makes a huge difference?

Orange are also a contender, and maybe Canyon..im not sure I feel the value from Orange is enough to tempt me for my money though.

I think demo rides will be required..
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I'm not sure about the airdrop weight, but I know that the bird isn't particularly lightweight, so perhaps worth comparing the weight of two given how your local trails are quite flat.
  • Big_Jack
    Oh local trails are steep! Just not jumpy or droopy, so the travel won't be used fully unless at a park etc. I'll ask both companies for the weight, and see if it's noticeablely different..
  • BloggingFit
    IIRC the Aeris frame is approx 7kg with a Monarch plus shock.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You recall very badly, no way is it 7kg or the whole bike would weigh about 18kg!

Typical weight for a frame of that style with a shock is 3-3.5kg, even an O5 weighs less than 7kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Possibly thats lbs = 3.1kg or so.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    The Rookie wrote:
    You recall very badly, no way is it 7kg or the whole bike would weigh about 18kg!

Typical weight for a frame of that style with a shock is 3-3.5kg, even an O5 weighs less than 7kg.
    Heh, I did indeed.

That would be 7lbs, not 7kg.