27.5 really here to stay?

SIMONFREESE
SIMONFREESE Posts: 30
edited June 2016 in MTB beginners
As someone that is looking to make my first significant MTB purchase, the fairly recent chopping and changing of wheel sizes has presented something of a dilemma! I have been riding MTB's for a long time and have always been happy with older bikes, obviously using 26 inch wheels. Recently I have had the urge to buy something modern, and to hopefully benefit from the better performance. The new wheel choices make me wonder if I can believe the latest idea that 27.5 is going to be here to stay.

So, is 27.5 the ideal size?

Will it become the main size on MTB?

My main reasons for asking are availability / cost of tyres / spokes, and making sure I pick the best wheel size. I'm a hard tail cross country type of person.

Any thoughts / opinions gratefully received!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    29 is huge elsewhere in the world, and getting huger. I just bought one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I'd even dare to say that 27.5 is already the main size....
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I guess its hard to tell, the flavour of the month is 27.5 and has been for a while now but it doesn't mean that its definitely here to stay either...

Personally, if you look at most of the bigger brands they have adopted 27.5 in place of their 26 counterparts which have since been "discontinued" so that's a fairly good indication that the industry is moving forward into that area as a more permanent venture. I would say you are pretty safe buying 27.5 right now as it only appears to be getting more and more popular.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'm still on 26er here but as I'm after a full suspension I will have to look at 650b/29ers.

Not tried any of these new wheel sizes but I'm not tall so I doubt a 29er would be any good for me.

Just hope 26er parts tyres especially keep on for a while yet as there is nothing wrong with my current bike and don't want to have to bin perfectly good parts that are still useable and have plenty of use left in them.

Cooldad - don't you have enough bikes?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    swod1 wrote:
    I

n+1 is the ideal number of bikes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    27.5" is going to be the main size for the foreseeable future. Hub widths on the other hand could change. I can see 135 and maybe 142 getting dropped in favour of the latest boost size.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it is here to stay. 29ers were a nice alternative to 26ers, but then some of the industry proclaimed the 26er dead and went all out with them. Only to back track once others had released 27.5 and they got more popular. I think the public have got sick of all the farting about with it. If they release another size then there will be an even bigger uproar.

Personally I think there should have been just 26 and 29, and clearances to suit bigger tyres should you so wish to fit them. I do think there was an effort to drive us all off 26, and that some companies were greedy with this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JBA wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    I

n+1 is the ideal number of bikes.

Precisely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    swod1 wrote:
    I'm still on 26er here but as I'm after a full suspension I will have to look at 650b/29ers.

Not tried any of these new wheel sizes but I'm not tall so I doubt a 29er would be any good for me.

Just hope 26er parts tyres especially keep on for a while yet as there is nothing wrong with my current bike and don't want to have to bin perfectly good parts that are still useable and have plenty of use left in them.

I thought the same about 29ers being too big until I tried one although I'm not a complete short are at 5'9". I'm now a convert with a hardtail and FS 29er.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The main problem with bigger wheel fit for shorter people is toe overlap. Increasing the front centre can help, but with any wheel size there is eventually a limit and pushing out head angles, rakes and top tube lengths can have other fit and handling problems.

You can never be too big for a wheel size. You can be too small for one, eventually.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have seen short arses on 29ers struggle on super steep stuff with the rear tyre buzzing their butt.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    supersonic wrote:
    Personally I think there should have been just 26 and 29, and clearances to suit bigger tyres should you so wish to fit them. I do think there was an effort to drive us all off 26, and that some companies were greedy with this.

+1
    keep the 26 for riders who want a lighter more agile bike and the 29 for those who want a faster rolling steed.
    Still love my 26 Soul.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I have seen short arses on 29ers struggle on super steep stuff with the rear tyre buzzing their butt.
    Emily Batty seemed to manage ok and she's 5'3". How short are we talking? (She rides 27.5 now but was on a 29er not long ago).
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've ridden with two women of circa 5'3-4" on 29ers and they didn't have an issue either.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not much over 5 foot but on near vertical slopes
  • Personally i ride 26". If i was to buy a new bike, i would either go with a 29" or a 27.5 though, 29" being my preference.

27.5 is good but for longer rides in particular, obviously its going to be harder work. The main reason i would think about a 27.5 is i like small, more agile wheels, i feel it brings a bit more skill the to plate, but it is purely down to personal choice. 27.5 is here to stay, but in maybe 5 years 29" will be bigger worldwide. If i were you, i would test both in a variety of situations.

A
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    It's probably here to stay, I have 2 26 inch bikes at the moment but nothing is really stopping me from swapping stuff over to a 27.5 frame. It makes no difference to me really, I ride what is available and if in 5 years time 26 is gone and 27.5 is all that is left then so be it, just here to have fun xD.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The Rookie wrote:
    I've ridden with two women of circa 5'3-4" on 29ers and they didn't have an issue either.

Have you any idea what you have just said?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    FishFish wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Have you any idea what you have just said?

:mrgreen:
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!