Aero Bars SL70's ?

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I want some flat top aero profile bars for my propel, I originally wanted intergraded but decided against that now so what are my options and does anyone have any feedback.

3T aeronova stealth - These are really nice profile but they have a reach which is way to long for me

Zipp SL70 Aero - I love the profile of this bar and they are a 70 reach which is good as i would like to loose about 10mm from the front end so this avoid changing the stem.

are there any other options ? and also has anyone got / riden the zipps do you like them ?

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've got the SL70s on my Parlee and they do everything you'd want a handlebar to. Without tape the tops are a bit slippery if you like to hang your arms over the front "puppy dog style" ((c) Carlton Kirby 2016)... otherwise, they're stiff, a good size and shape for me and they look good...

Bit pricey and not the lightest but I like them.
  • Thanks for the reply currently can get the 40cm versions for £188
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Deda do an aero bar as well, think its called the SuperZero, the matching stem is pretty cool as well
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    if you can overcome the reach issue by just getting a shorter stem, then that would seem like an obvious thing to do, that would give you more choice of bars which are a lot more expensive and more difficult to change if you ever decide you need more / less reach.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    sl70's are fantastic. reach is really nice, and they eliminate road buzz. especially when paired with the zipp sprint stem. I've got both the alloy version on one bike ( non aero) and the aero version on my aero bike.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    sl70's are fantastic. reach is really nice, and they eliminate road buzz. especially when paired with the zipp sprint stem. I've got both the alloy version on one bike ( non aero) and the aero version on my aero bike.

That's good to know thanks. Current reach I found out yesterday is 75 so won't be much different but good to know they feel good. A more flared drops would be ideal think the Zipps are 4degree so basically nothing but something with a good flare like the enve bars are like £400 :shock:

Also the Zipp stem looks nice so if that still isn't comfy then I could look to reduce this by 10mm

Reason for not getting stem straight away is that the propel deserves aero bars not the standard round ones ... Don't know why giant didn't fit them as standard :-/
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Enve SES. I like the idea of the flared design, though agree price is a tad epic :shock:
  • Also the Zipp stem looks nice so if that still isn't comfy then I could look to reduce this by 10mm

Reason for not getting stem straight away is that the propel deserves aero bars not the standard round ones ... Don't know why giant didn't fit them as standard :-/

Does the Propel have a 1 1/4" steerer?
    This will limit your choice of stem.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I want some flat top aero profile bars for my propel, I originally wanted intergraded but decided against that now so what are my options and does anyone have any feedback.

3T aeronova stealth - These are really nice profile but they have a reach which is way to long for me

Zipp SL70 Aero - I love the profile of this bar and they are a 70 reach which is good as i would like to loose about 10mm from the front end so this avoid changing the stem.

are there any other options ? and also has anyone got / riden the zipps do you like them ?

I've got 3T Aeronova Ltd Stealth on one bike and simply put a slightly shorter stem on to compensate for the reach. Bars and stem still worked out cheaper than £180 from Athlete Shop.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Also the Zipp stem looks nice so if that still isn't comfy then I could look to reduce this by 10mm

Does the Propel have a 1 1/4" steerer?
    This will limit your choice of stem.

It does yeh its the giant stem or a zipp thats about it choice wise.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    philbar72 wrote:

That's good to know thanks. Current reach I found out yesterday is 75 so won't be much different but good to know they feel good. A more flared drops would be ideal think the Zipps are 4degree so basically nothing but something with a good flare like the enve bars are like £400 :shock:

Also the Zipp stem looks nice so if that still isn't comfy then I could look to reduce this by 10mm

that'd be cost. you can knock up a set of OEM bars on the lower specced bikes for next to nothing. fundamentally drop is quite an important part of a bike fit for me at least, and those 5mm between the zipps and the giant bars could be a minor issue. also be aware the zipp sprint stem is -12 degrees. again that's a positional change, but over time most people do adapt. I've friends that went from regular -6 to -17 stems and they then had issues...
  • I ordered the SL70 aero bars today and I'll try them before changing stem. They will reduce reach by 20mm which is and should be what's needed while still keeping the stem at 110