Non squeaky seat - charge spoon?

jjsh
jjsh Posts: 142
edited June 2016 in Cyclocross
Went out for a good long ride today on the Voodoo Limba that I built, and I'm nearly happy with the set up, just a couple of things to tweak. The only thing that is getting really annoying is the huge amount of creaking noises generated by the seat. To be fair, it's one I pinched from my winter bike so it has to go back on there eventually, but I don't want to end up with another squeaky one. I was thinking of a charge spoon as I think it will suit my arse, so can anyone vouch for its un-squeekyness?

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have 2, neither squeak. Mind neither did the SM Ponza I had either.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jjsh
    Cheers for the reply. Mmm, well my Ponza squeaks and creeks over rough terrain quite badly. I've got another saddle that I find uncomfortable, but didn't make any undue noise on my old tricross, so I might swap that out just to confirm its the saddle ~ but I suppose its a mute point as I need to return the Ponza to its original location eventually anyway.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My Charge Spoon is quite new and doesn't squeak. In fairness, most saddles I've had in the past haven't squeaked either.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I've had a Charge Spoon for about 5 years now- been swapped from the road bike to the 'cross bike about 2 months ago, with no squeaking to report yet!

If your budget can stretch to it I'd have a look at the fabric scoop saddles- their radius elite is the same shape as the Charge Spoon (fabric is Charge's upmarket saddle spin out brand) but they have so much more give which really makes a difference on grotty roads.

However, because of the higher amount of flex I don't know if that could encourage squeaks in a couple of years time.
  • jjsh
    Well, this is embarrassing. :oops:

I've re-torqued just about every bolt on the bike (its a fairly new build and tend to do this as a matter of routine after a a hundred miles or so), the the squeak has stopped. Both the seat post clamp and the saddle retaining clamp bolt needed a fair amount of tightening to bring them to the correct torque, so I suspect that was the cause. Interestingly, I can make the saddle squeak still by pressing the sides with my hands, but not riding, so happy days. That's basic bike maintenance 101 stuff really, bit embarrassed I missed that. Ahem.

Anyhows, need to order a Spoon anyway as this saddle will have to go back on the winter bike before the onset of bad weather, i.e. in about two weeks. :D