MTB shop service at LBS

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited July 2016 in MTB beginners
When I was younger (and to be honest, still the same today) I didn't like going to the barbers because I didn't know what to ask for so I didn't a) sound like an idiot b) get charged more than the £3 I was given by my mum and c) end up looking like an idiot when I left the shop.

In the same spirit, I'm taking the boy's Canyon Nerve AL down to the LBS this weekend as its done 18 months of being looked after hamfistedly by me and him and could do with someone who knows better paying it some attention.

So far, we've replaced brake pads, tyres, etc without trouble, greased pedal axels (properly), changed the cassette and chain due to wear, and paid good attention to keeping the shock and fork clean and tidy (no products, just water and microfibre cloths here).

I can't say how many miles it's done as he doesn't log that data, but he's out on it for 15-20 miles most weekends and probably pushes the bikes purpose a little (I suppose its a XC / Trail bike, but he does like hitting jumps etc) though nothing that has apparently caused any issues so far.

So the plan on taking it down there is for it to get a "service". I'm thinking (in car analogy) a basic service and oil change type setup, nothing fancy, but with an eye that if anything looks wrong that we've not picked up on, we get it flagged by a professional.

What would you be recommending gets "done" at this sort of service, and what would you be asking them to look at, even if you weren't quite prepared to necessarily pay for any rectification at the current time? e.g. I'm imagining asking them to check the pivot bolts / suspension assembly for "play" would be wise, but I don't think I want them to do a full service on the Rebas up front.

Help gratefully received!!
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 295
    Looking at what you yourself have done to date, I would suggest you look for the service option which includes removing/checking/re-greasing both the headset and bottom bracket. This is typically one of the more in-depth service packagess and which by default would also include them checking brakes, gears etc.
    Servicing of forks and suspension is not typically included in the bike service packages but is an additional or separate package
  • larkim
    Thanks Wilberforce - good pointers (subject to no-one disagreeing with you of course, you never know where debates might end up!)

Is giving it a good deep clean also a normal part of a light service like this?

My mental list of things I might want doing looks something like this:-
    - new cable / check alignment of front mech
    - new cable / indexing of rear mech
    - suspension pivot points - check torque / evidence of play
    - check wheel bearings / regrease as necessary
    - good clean
    - check front chainrings for excessive wear
    - check wheels are true
    - report any concerns about excessive wear / damage that are otherwise not mentioned if observed

I hadn't really considered bottom bracket or headset, but both should be fairly straightforward to examine, lube and reassemble if no issues.

Edit - of course, now I do the sensible thing and see that Evans have something of a menu. I'm not using them, but its not a bad guide I suppose. https://static.evanscycles.com/producti ... t_2016.pdf
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Headset and BB are both cartridge bearings I think, so not much to do if they still feel smooth. I wouldn't waste your time/money. Wheels may be cartrideg or cup and cone. If cup and cone it's simple, cartridge pretty much same as headset, check for grindiness and play or just leave them alone.

I would just check out Parktools etc and do the bits yourself.

Maybe consider a fork service (shock air can seals etc is a 15 minute simple job), even a basic fork service with new wipers etc is pretty simple, depending on the forks.

Bikes don't need a routine service - they just need attention as and when.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Problem is I've killed so many mechanical things through not knowing what I'm not seeing that I do value the idea of having someone "good" look over the bike. I've destroyed at least 2 car engines that I know of, so just conscious that such mistakes can be costly. I do subscribe to the "DIY" generally, as hopefully evidenced by some of the dense and noob questions I've asked here over a number of years (and which have generally resulted in me doing a decent enough job on repairs), but as its not my bike, and as my particular teenager doesn't have a penchant for being mechanically minded, a LBS service might be the best option.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    a lot of good videos showing you how to replace gear cables, indexing etc on youtube.

I took my bike once to evans paid for a gold service and yes everything was checked a lot of it I could have done myself and have done so afterwards as I found it so straight forward

As a lot of the time you will want to go for a ride and something needs fixing and then no time to take to the bike shop meaning you have to learn to do it yourself.

As long as there isn't any clicking or creaking it should be fine that's when you need to grease/repair.
  • IanWhite
    IanWhite Posts: 85
    This is the price list from my local shop hope it help's

BASIC SERVICE - £45.00

Recommended for the occasional cyclist or for a pre-event tune up.
    The bike is checked over ensuring everything is adjusted and working correctly
    Brakes and gears are adjusted
    Bottom bracket, headset and wheel hub bearings are adjusted and lubricated
    Wheels straightened up in the bike in order to adjust the brakes
    The chain, gear components and cables are lubricated
    Tyres inflated to correct pressure

STANDARD SERVICE - £65.00

Great for the commuter and the more regular cyclist
    Same as the Basic service
    Plus remove the drive train, and wash, degrease and re-lubricate

ELITE SERVICE - £100.00

Great for the commuter and the more regular cyclist
    Complete strip down to bare frame
    Bike wash, including degreasing and cleaning the drive train
    Stripping and re-greasing wheel hubs, bottom bracket and headset
    Truing and re-tensioning wheels
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Basic is a waste of time for you, it BB, headset and hub bearings are cartridge so checking takes 5 seconds and no adjustment/greasing is possible, the rest is easy DIY.

Standard marginal use to you.

Elite is of some use, but I'd be very cynical that is it a genuine complete strip. I'd also be making sure that it includes splitting the suspension joints for checks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    The Rookie wrote:
    Basic is a waste of time for you, it BB, headset and hub bearings are cartridge so checking takes 5 seconds and no adjustment/greasing is possible, the rest is easy DIY.

Standard marginal use to you.

Elite is of some use, but I'd be very cynical that is it a genuine complete strip. I'd also be making sure that it includes splitting the suspension joints for checks.
    My repair business does the equivalent of the Elite service here and yes it does strip the bike completely - so don't be so cynical :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you charge £100 for that?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.