Shimano RT66 vs RT76

carvedmarble
carvedmarble Posts: 61
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
HI,

Im looking at upgrading my rotors from RT56 that came as standard to either RT66 or RT76, is there any difference between them other than weight and looks, neither are ice-tech? Is the steel the same?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not really an upgrade so much as a change!

What are you hoping to achieve by the change? Different brake discs don't change the performance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My bike has 160mm discs front and back its an XC bike and was going to go larger for a bit more braking power after getting used to my new brakes, poss only to 180 front and keep 160 rear, just wondered what the diff is with non ice-tec is it just weight?

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The alloy spider makes it lighter, yes.

Personally I'd just get any 180mm disc, you really don't need a larger on the rear, in fact I still use 160's bother ends anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:

What are you hoping to achieve by the change? Different brake discs don't change the performance.

thats not exactly true