Newbie with first road bike. Help with some questions.

jlee83
jlee83 Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
Hi, new road bike user here.

Never been much of a cyclist, but saw an ad on Craigslist that I just couldn't pass up.

Someone put up a 2011/2012? (the seller said the bike was ~4 years old) Raleigh Revenio 2.0 for $200. The bike was in great condition (considering it's age), with no major scratches or dents. I had originally planned to offer him $150, but the seller seemed to be a real bike enthusiast, and a nice guy to boot. Ended up paying $175 for it. Please tell me I got a good deal! Hah.

As a newbie with road bikes (or really bikes in general), are there some pointers on what I can check/look out for when buying a used bike? There's always some lingering doubt that if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Also, when buying a road bike (used or new), is it normal not to get the bike stand and or bike tools (for said bike)? I just got the bike, and completely forgot to ask him about the bike stand and/or other accessories/tools. Sorry in advance if this is an obvious question.

Lastly, is there any surefire way to find out what model year my bike is? Lastly, do the aluminum on these bikes feel a little "plastic-y"? Not sure if I'm describing the aluminum frame feel correctly.

Comments