Socks

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Because I plan to do some wet weather riding, I was wondering about socks. I have running socks, compression socks and football socks.Those reviewed with top marks are Lucifers (have to order from New Zealand, but cheap air mail), Craft Pro Warm & Pro Zero Socks (discontinued). Any other suggestions welcome.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very wet = Sealskinz.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    cooldad wrote:
    Very wet = Sealskinz.

I agree with cooldad, everyone I know swears by em!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When it's cold anyway, if it's warm I don't mind wet feet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    ...or some decent merino wool socks that should still keep your feet warm even when wet. Whilst I know the sealskins are hugely popular a couple of mates didn't rate them as the inner lining ripped easily, hence letting water in. Endura BaaBaa work for me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Army surplus MVP waterproof, tougher than the sealskinz, but only when it's cold as CD says, otherwise I wear on-ones Merino mix.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I used to wear my golf socks.....

Untill I got a hole in one!
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I used to wear my golf socks.....

Untill I got a hole in one!

You got me...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Ross Gardner
    I've read somewhere that with waterproof socks, because they keep the sweat in (both waterproof inside and outside), they are quite uncomfortable. You also have to wear the longest socks to keep the wetness out (submerging them means the water collects in the sock, as it has no where else to go).

The Sealskinz were the example.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Army surplus MVP waterproof, tougher than the sealskinz, but only when it's cold as CD says, otherwise I wear on-ones Merino mix.

Thickies or Thinnies?

Thanks for the suggestions.

What dry weather socks do you suggest?
  • The Rookie
    I wear thin socks inside the waterproof, it smells sweaty when I take them off, but there is no dampness, the goretex liner is breathable of course.

Yes you can end up with some water going down inside the leg and then you just warm it up and it acts like a wet suite, usually I wear knee warmers (just thin Lycra ones) when it's wet and cold and overlap the socks to address that exact issue.

I wear the thick merino socks on their own, they can help prevent blisters over longer rides (over 50 miles).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ross Gardner
    The Rookie wrote:
    I wear thin socks inside the waterproof, it smells sweaty when I take them off, but there is no dampness, the goretex liner is breathable of course.

I have yet to find these socks new (I don't like the idea of having used socks).
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes you can end up with some water going down inside the leg and then you just warm it up and it acts like a wet suite, usually I wear knee warmers (just thin Lycra ones) when it's wet and cold and overlap the socks to address that exact issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportful-No-Ra ... izer101-21

Are these any good?
  • The Rookie
    Search through the army surplus stores, they often come up new, mine were used apparently, but no sign they ever had been!

Those knee warmers will probably be fine, I just use regular ones.
  • Ross Gardner
    The Rookie wrote:
    Search through the army surplus stores, they often come up new, mine were used apparently, but no sign they ever had been!

OK so you mean in person or online?
  • The Rookie
    Online.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    +1 for seal skins. I've a medium set that I wear through the wetter months and I swear by them. Never had any problems with leakage or anything and it's great to get back to the car and have warm dry feet. I've noticed that yeah they hold a bit of sweat but you only notice when you take them off at the end of the ride which is fine for me because I'll have a towel to dry off with and get changed.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • Ross Gardner
    I have purchased the on-ones Merino thickie and thinnie (6 of each), and I am going to bid on some Army surplus MVP waterproofs. Thanks for the advice.