SPD clipless pedals?

GTruckusFR
GTruckusFR Posts: 14
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

i'm looking to change my flat pedal for a clipless one.

i put my finger one three models:
Shimano M530. (or XT if a bargain or ad is good)
Shimano DX347.
Wellgo W70.

it will be use on trails, enduro with some jumps.

i'm not a great rider but with luck i don't fall very often.

so gentelmen please share your advice, review if you have one of these.

wellgo seems to be a main manufacturer in the pedals world but there is no reviews anywhere.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Crank Brothers Mallet or Mallet DH. Bigger platform for support, easier to get in and out of, more float, clears mud better.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd get M520s not M530s, the platforms are pretty useless. 520s are the default choice, indestructable, easy to use, cheap and readily available.

Crank Bros are lighter, prettier, better in mud more fragile and a huge amount more expensive.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 for the 520's, can be had off Amazon for sub £20, mine have so far done over 6000 miles without being touched other than the occasional drop of lube on the pivots.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GTruckusFR
    thank you everyone who try to help me!
    About my shoes i don't find the model it adidas and they look like a bit this one
    17470158.jpg

i will explain a bit :
    first i dont' want a crankbrothers mallet set. I know many DH pro riders ride with but i'm not a pro so i buy everything by myself, i don't have any team or sponsoring to give me pedals each time! And as i read everywhere crank bros have lot of reliability issues i put them aside.

Now, i don't want shimano M520 either! I need some extra plateform since i'm a beginner with clipless pedals and in lack of confidence without something helping me to clip easier!
    So that's why i choose DX or M530 (i saw in France M530 are at 29€, i saw some XT M785 for 53€ but i dunno it worse to put 25€ more than a M530)

it a bit difficult to me to make a choice with confidence!
    I read Crank bros lack of reliability and nedd servicing every time, shimano M424 and 545 too with the yellow part side who fall apart and make the pedal out! Shimano DX side bolt unscrew sometime and the resin cage seems to bit as not strong as they are heavy!

i don't have a job for the moment and every buy had to be clever!

ps: please forgive me if there are some mistakes as you may have noticed i'm french i know our éducational system is not very strong to learn us foreign languages! :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    The platform on the 530 isn't much use and to be honest no easier to clip into at all. It's only benefit is a bit more support of the shoes don't have a very stiff sole, but it doesn't offer enough support to really help much, I started with 520's and only ever used that type.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Read what you like about Crank Brothers reliability. I'm 98kg and have the same sets on both hardtail and full sus that I've had for over 5 years, so they've just fallen out of warranty and have had no issues whatsoever.

Shimano have let the market down by not ever replacing the original DX clipless pedal so you're limited if you want a decent clipless pedal with a platform I'm afraid.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • GTruckusFR
    Read what you like about Crank Brothers reliability. I'm 98kg and have the same sets on both hardtail and full sus that I've had for over 5 years, so they've just fallen out of warranty and have had no issues whatsoever.

Shimano have let the market down by not ever replacing the original DX clipless pedal so you're limited if you want a decent clipless pedal with a platform I'm afraid.

I know my friend!it's a nightmare to find a decent pedal set for a decent price!
    All i can say is i d'ont want any CB set! to many lack of reliability testimonials! :|
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Anyone experience of the Boardman MTB Pros?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've got M520 and M530. The cage on the M530 does nothing. You can't ride unclipped, the cage doesn't give any support.
    I'd go for the M520, they're solid and reliable and last forever.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Like most people in this thread I'll say the M520's. Great pedal for the price, very easy to use and last for ever.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • GTruckusFR
    As i said i putted M520 aside. i'd really be more confident with an extra plateform like on 530 or DX. Maybe the plateform bring not enough support put i will help me a bit inside my head!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The DX weigh a ton and are aimed at downhill racing.
    Go for the M530
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    edited June 2016
    I have the M545 pedals, I like them because I can pedal clipped in and out so if I hit a technical bit or the trail is steep and slow I unclip one foot and carry on riding without worry of falling off.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Trust me, as someone who has both 520 and 530s, the 530s literally add nothing at all. They don't make clipping in and out easier, they don't feel like they have more support, they don't allow you to ride without the SPD shoes on. I bought some with exactly the same perspective as you, thinking the frame around the clip would in some way add more stability or something. It does nothing of the sort - in fact, as far as I can tell, it does nothing at all!

I know you've said you've put the 520s aside, but you've done that without actually trying them, so if I were you I would listen to the clear and loud advice you're being given. The extra platform adds nothing, and now that I only have clipless on one of my bikes I've put the 530s in a drawer and only expect to see them again if the 520s fail for some reason.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • GTruckusFR
    The DX weigh a ton and are aimed at downhill racing.
    Go for the M530
    i know DX are for downhill! So i guess if it is strong enough for DH it will be for everything else!
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    How about the Shimano M424. I find the cage really useful as a newbie to clipless, does ad support if you don't/can't clip in. Nicely adjustable and a good price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... p-prod7808
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • GTruckusFR
    jamski wrote:
    How about the Shimano M424. I find the cage really useful as a newbie to clipless, does ad support if you don't/can't clip in. Nicely adjustable and a good price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... p-prod7808
    Already checked the 424 and 545 but there is a known issue with these! The right yellow button goes off and the pedal become unstable even unusable!
  • The Rookie
    The 424's and 535's do have a lot or reported issues with the bearing and retention of the outer cage, yes.

I'd still suggest the 520's, at circa &£17 off Amazon its a small investment to try them and you can sell them on for minimal loss if you don't get on with them.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got 530s and I like em. The cage doesn't support your foot, but it first stop you rolling the pedal if you don't clip in first time, I've don't that before with 520s. The cogs protects the mechanism a bit too, I smashed a wellgo pedal to pieces over the chase once.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • GTruckusFR
    hi, everyone!

First of all, thank you for all your advices! Even some are pretty strange since i have explained i'd need an extra plateform to be more confident because i find classic pedal too narrow for my mind!
    I need to feel my feet with extra plateform to be conneted to my bike. And i jump a lot in bouncy rocks so i need often to unclip and clip quickly!

So i don't understand why you want me to get some 520! Ok they are surely great, reliable but it's too tiny to me! :lol:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The advice you are getting is from people who have used or are using the various types of pedals. There is not a huge range of SPD's to choose from but you are discounting everything that is suggested. Just go and buy whichever you like the look of / can find at a decent price.

For what it's worth I have both M520 and M530 pedals and there is no discernible difference in feel when using them. Wearing decent SPD-compatible shoes with a good, stiff sole is what makes a difference to comfort and feel.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • GTruckusFR
    JBA wrote:
    The advice you are getting is from people who have used or are using the various types of pedals. There is not a huge range of SPD's to choose from but you are discounting everything that is suggested. Just go and buy whichever you like the look of / can find at a decent price.

For what it's worth I have both M520 and M530 pedals and there is no discernible difference in feel when using them. Wearing decent SPD-compatible shoes with a good, stiff sole is what makes a difference to comfort and feel.

i don't discount anything! i just tell that i only like a set with plateform because i'd feel more confident with.Maybe it's will be more psychological than physical! Maybe it's not me that discounting but the others won't want to care about my selection of plateform set because they prefer the M520. I can deal with that...but deal with my choice to ride with extra plateform :wink:
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I think the point the people who have experience with both 520 and 530 are making is that the platforms which you might think you will rest your foot on won't actually touch the sole of your shoe if you're riding with spd shoes on as the spd clip sits higher up, so even though you think it might provide support, when you get them you'll find that it doesn't.

That surprised me when I bought them. I bought 530 for my mtb and 520 for my road bike thinking the bigger platform would provide some benefit. In fact when I used them that was I found there was no difference between the two.

Feel free to buy the 530 pedals, but I think the only reason people are suggesting you don't is that you'll actually be spending a little extra money and getting nothing for it. So I suppose we are saying 520=530 in practicality terms but 520>530 in value for money.

Your choice of course!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Worst of both worlds, if you can find somewhere to buy them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Seriously, this is getting boring now, just buy a set of Shimano with or without cages, there's a reason why they are by far the most popular brand of SPD pedal.

Cage won't make any difference when clipped in but it's useful on tricky sections as you can use them unclipped fairly well.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You stated in one of your early posts:

"I need some extra plateform since i'm a beginner with clipless pedals and in lack of confidence without something helping me to clip easier!"

A platform will not help you to clip in easier. In fact, a large platform could make it more difficult to clip in as it will be harder to move your foot about on the pedal.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    It took me 30 minutes on the back lawn and two comedy falls (forgetting to unclip when stopping) before I then put 520's on my commuter.

There may be a psychological benefit to the caged type for about 3 minutes, after than (like when you are out riding properly) it is simply not an issue.

Rule #5 applies.
  • JGTR
    Do the rules apply to MTBs???