Looking for a new saddle

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm planning to replace my stock bizango saddle as its kinda not good and it rubs on my thigh when I drop my backside behind the saddle on descent. Something not too expensive but with maybe good padding too and not as wide as the voodoo saddle.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Saddles are personal, but Charge Spoon seems to work for many people, under £20 on Ebay, and if you don't like it they sell again for almost as much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    Saddles are personal, but Charge Spoon seems to work for many people, under £20 on Ebay, and if you don't like it they sell again for almost as much.

While they seem to be popular, my experience is that they don't wear well.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • core00
    cooldad wrote:

Yeah figured, and seen charge spoon on evans too pretty much at the same price. I guess I will take a loot at it and it has pretty good reviews on Evan's site.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm still using my first spoon bought 5 years ago, it did about 3000miles on my commuter and then for 2 years has done about another 1000 miles of mixed use, that sounds reasonable for a £25 saddle......and it's still fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • core00
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'm still using my first spoon bought 5 years ago, it did about 3000miles on my commuter and then for 2 years has done about another 1000 miles of mixed use, that sounds reasonable for a £25 saddle......and it's still fine.

Cool, my only problem is when pedalling while on the saddle it gives me pressure on my backside as well as the problem I mention above. Mostly I'm standing when on the trail but sometimes it can't be help but to sit down even for just a short period.
  • m00nbadger
    m00nbadger Posts: 53
    i've got a very bone arse; the charge spoon i find very comfortable
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i ripped the material on my charge spoon so had to bin it and ended up getting a saddle from Evans £20 quid fwe trail saddle similar shape and leather cover works for me.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Also look at the Madison Flux and of you are prepared to spend a little more the Fabric Scoop if you want a nicer,better made Spoon. (Fabric are the components side of Charge bikes)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Big_Jack
    Big_Jack Posts: 82
    I am very fussy with saddles on both my road and MTB but I found the Charge Spoon to be excellent for me.

I know I require a pressure relief channel (Specialized Ronin on my road bike) and do not get any unwanted numbness with the spoon despite quite a lot of seated riding.

They're cheap too - so not a major loss if it doesn't work out.

Hope this helps,

Jack