pump

cremator
cremator Posts: 99
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all so what pump do you carry when on the road bought a cheap one think it was 3_4pound went out Sunday and mate got a a puncture so got pump out screwed adapter on to pump and every time you unscrewed adapter from valve it unscrewed the valve from the tire so let all the air out so need a new pump any help please

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I suspect your problem will be with the inner tube not the pump. Was the inner tube Continental? If it was you need to make sure that the valve core is fully tightened.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I have two of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-micro-rocket-al-pump/
    not cheap, takes a bit of pumping to achieve very high pressure but pretty good.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • cremator
    Hi yes it was a continental tube
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Also dont tighten the valve core too tight otherwise you could split the valve tube.

Try not to tighten the pump so tight on the valve next time and it wont unscrew the valve core.

It's not the pumps fault. :twisted:
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    use thread lock on the valve core threads and/or don't use a thread on pump on a removable valve tube. the topeak pump works very well for a push on mini pump. push on co2 is the future!!
    Colnago Addict!
  • cremator
    Hi thank U all for the quick replys looking at them looks like it could have been user error do U use a core valve tool to make sure they are tight or just fingers . Yes think I will go for a push fit pump rather than a screw on type
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    core valve tool (little plastic thing) and threadlock
    Colnago Addict!
  • cremator
    That's great thank you
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    some screw on pumps/or their users... suck, stopped to help a random the other month and they had cross threaded the pump onto the valve and had been stuck there for 35mins! had to use two tyre levers as leverage to get the thing off. then used my lezyne micro drive to sort it for them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    hold the valve stem with pliers, use a core tool or another pair of pliers to tighten the core, then it won't come loose

having said that, i've found the screw on heads eventually wear out, i got a push-on one as replacement, makes life simpler
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cremator
    Thank you all pump ordered and a valve tool