Kona Process 134... Buying some Pikes... Maybe?

M3YET1
M3YET1 Posts: 7
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
A few weeks ago I got myself a 2015 Kona Process 134 for an absolute steal! Needless to say i am absolutely smitten with my new bike but there are a few things I plan to do to it before I settle.

The thing that is agitating me the most is the seemingly underpowered Rockshox Sektor Silver 140mm forks. Not quite enough travel for my likings and they weigh a ton considering they are not particularly confidence inspiring and their sub par performance is not something I want to have to worry about.

The plan is to upgrade these to a Rockshox Pike RCT3 150mm. This is where things get slightly more interesting and I need some advice. I do not plan on keeping the Kona frame forever and intend on stripping it down and selling it to fund a new frame in spring 2017. I can already feel my next frame is going to be a 160mm travel frame so what I am thinking is getting the 160mm Pike and then changing the Solo Air Spring Assembly for the 150mm version (reducing the Pike's travel to 150mm) as this seems to be the sensible and future proof option.

Anyone done this? If so how are you finding it? Anyone else got some advice on this?

Thanks in advance!! Really appreciate your advice! :D:D:D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a sensible option, either get a 160 and shorten to 150, or buy a 150 and get the 160 shaft later.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • M3YET1
    M3YET1 Posts: 7
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's a sensible option, either get a 160 and shorten to 150, or buy a 150 and get the 160 shaft later.

Cheers for the advice. So from what you are saying the 160 and 150 are the same fork just with a different spring assembly?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    M3YET1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Cheers for the advice. So from what you are saying the 160 and 150 are the same fork just with a different spring assembly?

If you buy a 150mm Pike it may or may not extend to 160mm but all 160mm Pikes can be shortened to 150mm with a change of air shaft.
    Pikes would be a great upgrade for a Process 134 although you won't notice an extra 10mm travel the improvement in stiffness and damping quality will make a big difference. Just make sure you buy the RCT3 Pike, it's well worth the extra cash over the RC model.
    Personally Id say that a bike like the Process with a nice stiff fork is the perfect UK trail/enduro bike.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    M3YET1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

If you buy a 150mm Pike it may or may not extend to 160mm but all 160mm Pikes can be shortened to 150mm with a change of air shaft.

really, never heard of that before
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some of the OE Pikes only have 150mm stanchions. With some shops like Marlins selling OE parts it's worth looking out for.