Hydraulic brakes

Euroclydon2
Euroclydon2 Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Planning to swap out my existing clarks skeletel hydraulic brakes as they are just awful. Before I purchase a set of shimano m446 calipers I was looking for advice as to whether these will mount on my existing post mount adapter 180 front and IS mount 160 rear to incorporate into existing rotors...
Or do I need to purchase the appropriate shimano adaptors??? All advice most welcome..

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I assume you are running a rear IS to PM adapter too, in which case your new brakes will bolt straight onto the existing adapters.
  • Yeah I am running a rear IS to PM adapter. Good to hear the new brakes should bolt straight on to existing mounts. The profile of appropriate shimano adapters really look quite different to my existing ones. This made me concerned about the compatability of new brakes with existing adapters.. so defo nothing to worry about???
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Definitely PM is a standard so swapping one for another presents no issues.

Yes some adaptors look very different while doing the same job, also be careful as lots of adverts use 'library' photo's which use a completely different adaptor just to show 'an adaptor'.

The only oddity is the Shimano 180mm front which uses a spacer and some washers with longer bolts rather than the more usual 2 sets of bolts, you can still use any calliper on it though as it still works with the PM standard.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.