GCN Pro Tip, my ars*

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited June 2016 in The bottom bracket
Was watching a GCN vid recently and was taken with one of their "pro tips", namely to avoid faffing about with food wrappers on a ride by snipping the tops of snack / energy bars before heading out.

Good tip, I thought, so I duly snipped the end of my nakd bar and put it in my jersey pocket. An hour later I thought it was time to re fuel so nonchalantly dipped into said pocket to pull out my snack... and watched in horror as it slipped out of the open packet and bounced along the ride beside me :oops:

So... dodgy pro tip? Or user error?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    If you lift any open container open side down then the consequences are fairly predictable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    sounds like you're using the wrong kind of energy bar

try zipvit choc energy bars, they are so sticky there's no way they'd fall out

:)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Try it with a gel and report back.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348

:lol::lol::lol:
  • mcstumpy

Hmm, I will consider that. My concern is that if placed in pocket upside down, I will end up with a wet and messy backside. Although based on my experience of consuming gels, I might just be cutting out the middle man so to speak.
  • mcstumpy
    sungod wrote:

Cheers, the nakd snacks are like bars of soap, something slightly more adhesive should help.
  • mcstumpy
    PBlakeney wrote:
    If you lift any open container open side down then the consequences are fairly predictable.

Just tested that out on a jar of peanut butter. Predictably, my worktop is food free and the peanut butter is adhering resolutely to the inside of the jar :)
  • pblakeney
    McStumpy wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Just tested that out on a jar of peanut butter. Predictably, my worktop is food free and the peanut butter is adhering resolutely to the inside of the jar :)
    Predictable.
    Which is why I included the word "fairly".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mcstumpy
    PBlakeney wrote:
    McStumpy wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Predictable.

Perhaps we could work together on a thesis? Container Inversion and Comestible Adhesion.
  • pblakeney
    McStumpy wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    McStumpy wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Predictable.

Perhaps we could work together on a thesis? Container Inversion and Comestible Adhesion.
    You've already made good ground without me.
    Carry on.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    sungod wrote:

Made the mistake of leaving the yogurt covered one in my jersey last week, that wasn't pleasant! Other flavours seem to fair better though.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    To save weight I often leave the tops off my water bottles when on a ride, I find the weight savings are greatly increased if i put them in the bottle cages upside down!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Step83 wrote:
    Made the mistake of leaving the yogurt covered one in my jersey last week, that wasn't pleasant! Other flavours seem to fair better though.

tbh i find the yoghurt coated ones vile

the uncoated choc one is much nicer, doesn't really melt when it gets hot, just gets softer/stickier
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Mountain biker top tip: stop to eat your snacks instead of being a smartypants and trying to eat them on the move.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mcstumpy
    Chris Bass wrote:
    To save weight I often leave the tops off my water bottles when on a ride, I find the weight savings are greatly increased if i put them in the bottle cages upside down!

I go one better and take the tyres off, saves a few hundred grammes
  • mcstumpy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mountain biker top tip: stop to eat your snacks instead of being a smartypants and trying to eat them on the move.

<splutters indignantly into cup of tea>
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mountain biker top tip: wait until you are sitting on your ar$e in the van being carried up the next available hill to eat your snacks instead of being a smartypants and trying to eat them on the move.

FTFY
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    edited June 2016
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Despite the above comments there's a lot to be said for that, Stevo. Although I like to be 'quick', I'm not in a race when i ride, and sometimes it's best to stop to eat the food and have a proper drink. I feel like I get more out of it if I relax a bit, plus I don't spend the next few weeks trying to get spilt energy gel out of my brake mechanism.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Despite the above comments there's a lot to be said for that, Stevo. Although I like to be 'quick', I'm not in a race when i ride, and sometimes it's best to stop to eat the food and have a proper drink. I feels like I get more out of it if I relax a bit, plus I don't spend the next few weeks trying to get spilt energy gel out of my brake mechanism.
    Sensible advice. Take in the view, enjoy your choice of sustenance, and relax.
    No more time consuming than getting stopped at a set of lights.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mountain biker top tip: wait until you are sitting on your ar$e in the van being carried up the next available hill to eat your snacks instead of being a smartypants and trying to eat them on the move.

FTFY
    Bang on for me. But I'm trying to look at it from the roadie point of view :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Despite the above comments there's a lot to be said for that, Stevo. Although I like to be 'quick', I'm not in a race when i ride, and sometimes it's best to stop to eat the food and have a proper drink. I feels like I get more out of it if I relax a bit, plus I don't spend the next few weeks trying to get spilt energy gel out of my brake mechanism.
    Sensible advice. Take in the view, enjoy your choice of sustenance, and relax.
    No more time consuming than getting stopped at a set of lights.
    I agree, but then I don't ride along pretending I'm a pro either. Like the new sig PB, perhaps I should have specified it was because you recommended going to a pub.
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I agree, but then I don't ride along pretending I'm a pro either. Like the new sig PB, perhaps I should have specified it was because you recommended going to a pub.
    Too late.
    I am keeping what little praise I get. No matter the source, or the intention. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote: