First Real Mountain Bike

RlamboFod
RlamboFod Posts: 12
edited June 2016 in MTB beginners
hi

ive been riding for about 6 months in the forest of dean, however up until now i have been using a Trax Mountain Edge bike from halfords (£100 when i bought it) $_1.JPG

I can afford to spend up to £900 on a bike which would be "better equip" (I put this in quotations because I know how ill-equip the Mountain Edge). ideally id like a full suspension, just wondering what the best bike I could get for that money is?

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Boardman FS, £1000 but you can get 10% off somehow (sure someone will be along with more details). Got 5/5 stars I think on Bikeradar
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Halfords have discounts on fairly regular, and if you join British Cycling you can an additional 10% off so if you time things right and buy when a sale or offer is already on you can make a great saving!
  • RlamboFod
    Really liking the look of the bossnut! Might have to save up a little more
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    RlamboFod wrote:
    hi

ive been riding for about 6 months in the forest of dean, however up until now i have been using a Trax Mountain Edge bike from halfords (£100 when i bought it) $_1.JPG

I can afford to spend up to £900 on a bike which would be "better equip" (I put this in quotations because I know how ill-equip the Mountain Edge). ideally id like a full suspension, just wondering what the best bike I could get for that money is?

What the hell is that thing! kill it with fire!
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Halfords have the Voodoo Canzo and Zobop with 10% off so if you know anyone with a BC card you could get a further 10% off the price.
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    To get 10 % of from halfords at the moment, choose bike you like, click to choose local store aka reserve for local pick up, then add to basket , 10% discount will show up in basket , Boardman team full sus works out £899.10

Hope it help
  • RlamboFod
    Is there much difference between the bossnut and the Boardman?

And yes lungs, I know it's a disgrace to the sport, but its lasted ~5 years and hasn't broke yet (though, I'm not sure how).
    Gona ride Malvern hills on it tomorrow, fingers crossed it makes the whole journey
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    I've rode the malverns (across the tops) on some pretty terrible bikes in the past. I'm sure you'll be fine. Won't be the plushest ride, but definitely doable.
  • With that kind of budget you could always see of your employer has a cycle to work scheme and look at that?

Alternatively, if you aren't dead set on having a brand new bike, you can get some decent bikes on the likes of eBay that have hardly been used.
  • RlamboFod
    I've looked into the cycle to work scheme, and my employer does offer it. However there's a calculator thing online and it says that I would save a huge 0% on the bike if I did it that way.

I've been looking on gumtree and there seem to have been some good bikes on there, although every one seems to be a large frame :s
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That sounds a bit weird unless you pay no tax, but even if so you'd still get it over a year at 0%
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools