Which bike need fast answers

jayjaymozza
jayjaymozza Posts: 21
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have about 500 to spend,
I have been offered two full sus bike both for the same price...
First is the Marin rift zone XC
And the second is a saracen (just says areil 14x frame)

This is the Saracen http://m.imgur.com/gallery/i7e8Hep

This is the Marin
http://imgur.com/1dlmBU6

Thanks

Comments

• Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Any Spec information? Really wouldn't pick a bike based on such poor quality photos without some information in regards to their components.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As Rookie says, what year are the bikes, what models and what spec?
    It would be very foolish to choose based on those poor quality pictures.

You have now got 2 threads going asking the same thing but don't seem too sure or clear on the type of riding you intend doing.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Whyte designed quad link suspension on the Marin is very nice, add in that the Saracen looks like it's been resprayed which is a common way to masque stolen bikes, based on that alone I'd be looking at the Marin. It's a 2008/9 bike so for that money I'd be making sure it was a decent conditions with good shifting and no chain skippingunder load, also measure the chain for stretch or an al new drivetrain may not be far off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That Saracen has been resprayed and I'm fairly sure it's not a 14X. I wouldn't pay anything for that.
    The Marin is old. If those forks haven't been regularly serviced they'll be dead by now and will cost you a load to replace. Not many Fox forks from that era are still in use, the stanchions wear quite badly.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Also, why do you need fast answers, it almost feels like someone is pressuring you into buying the bike "right now" which is never a good sign, usually results in problems surfacing not to far in the future after the sale with the age old "bought as seen" when you try to return it or question anything the seller.... I'd avoid both of them!