Giant Trance X5 2010 ..?

jayjaymozza
jayjaymozza Posts: 21
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I am wanting to get into down hill mountain biking ... I have came across a giant trance x5 2010 model for a pretty good price.
What the thoughts on these as a first full sus bike for down the hills?
Also what would be first upgrades ? Cheers

Comments

• Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Do you have a link to the bike as the results I'm seeing through a Google search would lead me to believe it's more an XC bike rather than DH (geometry, travel etc etc). Remember that just because it's full sus doesn't mean it's a DH bike!
  • So how do I know if it's a downhill bike if I'm new to this ?
    Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Downhill bike will have circa 180-200mm of travel, will be pretty heavy and absolutely useless for doing anything but riding downhill (so you'll be uplifting it), also there are very few places in the UK (including the UK Downhill series) where you need a Downhill bike.

The Trance is a trail bike, it will perfectly rideable on that flat and uphill and cope with reasonable aggressive downhill tracks (noting all tracks have some downhill, doesn't make it Downhill).

So where did you think you were going to ride and how aggressively and we can perhaps make some suggestions.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I wasn't planning on strictly downhill ride.
    I need something that will be nice to ride on flat surface aswell as off road, also a little bit of downhill riding ... Nothing too aggressive though.
  • The Rookie
    OK, so not downhill at all.

Where (name a place as an easy way of understanding) will you be riding?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • merida one twenty 300 d any good?
    I will be riding around middlesbrough
  • The Rookie
    With 120mm travel the Merida is a Cross country to trail bike, the Trance is a bit harder hitting, Trail plus a bit.
    It helps to supply links to the bikes you are looking at and prices.

I don't know what it's like round Middlesborough
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a 2010 Trance. Firstly, they didn't make the X5 model after 2009. Secondly, it's purely an xc bike, too twitchy and unstable for downhill. Great bike though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • I have about 500 to spend,
    I have been offered two full sus bike both for the same price...
    First is the Marin rift zone XC
    And the second is a saracen (just says areil 14x frame)

This is the Saracen http://m.imgur.com/gallery/i7e8Hep

This is the Marin
    http://imgur.com/1dlmBU6
  • Anyone? Which is the best for what I need out of these two?
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    For Middlesbrough your closest places to ride are:

Hamsterley Forest - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/hamsterl ... p_2015.pdf
    Dalby Forest - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/eng-dalb ... tb-map.pdf
    Guisborough Woods - Can't seem to find a map for this...

But your not limited to just these, there are loads of bridal paths, old railways and country paths etc etc in the local area too!! (Castle Eden Walkway / North Yorkshire Moors / Kildale Ring to name a few).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rift Zone is a cross country bike - it will be fast for that, but nervous and out of its depth in rougher stuff.

The Ariel is more of an all rounder, but looks to have too short a fork on it.