Fast rolling, tubeless ready, 29er tyres.

*AL*
*AL* Posts: 1,185
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Good people of BR,

I have been plodding around on a CX bike for the past 4 years and have lost all contact with MTB world.

I've just bought a 29er HT and could really do with swapping out the tyres (bargain basement Conti Mountain Kings) for something faster rolling and tubeless compatible.

There's a couple of trail parks around here and lots of man made trails so just about everything I ride is hard-ish packed sand/gravel, used to run Spesh Captain/Spesh Fast Track way back when, used to run 26" wheels too, so I guess everything changes ?

No real budget, prepared to trade some weight for strength.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any folding will go up tubeless.

Personally I like a Schwalbe Rocket Ron up front and a Racing Ralph out back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    conti race kings race sports are pretty quick. Vittoria Saguro's folding are pretty good too. They also have some new graphene tyres that might be worth a look.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    The Rookie wrote:

Wire bead won't?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Kickaxe wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Wire bead won't?

not all folding tyres will go up tubless either
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Bontrager XR1 Team Issue TLR would do the job very well otherwise XR3 for a little more grip.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +1 for Ron/Ralph or Thunder Burt.

Burts are fastest, but least grippy (comparable to a Fast Trak though). Rons eschew a bit of grip on the shoulders for more in the centre and Ralphs are the opposite. Ralphs are a marginally tougher carcass too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some wire beads go up tubeless. Some folding bead won't.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Specialized Ground Control - I ran front and rear last year now running Ground Control back and Purgatory front.
  • njee20
    JGTR wrote:
    Specialized Ground Control - I ran front and rear last year now running Ground Control back and Purgatory front.

All of which fail the "fast rolling" thing.
  • JGTR
    njee20 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Specialized Ground Control - I ran front and nlrear last year now running Ground Control back and Purgatory front.

Maybe in your opinion but roll fast enough for me and well suited for trail centres. Upto the OP, go really fast rolling with some of the suggestions but risk sliding out on hard pack.
  • njee20
    JGTR wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Specialized Ground Control - I ran front and nlrear last year now running Ground Control back and Purgatory front.

Maybe in your opinion but roll fast enough for me and well suited for trail centres. Upto the OP, go really fast rolling with some of the suggestions but risk sliding out on hard pack.

So he could get fast rolling, like he asked for, and accept that'll come with some grip compromises, or he could get something totally different? Ground Controls/Purgatorys are good, but they're not fast.
  • JGTR
    njee20 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

So he could get fast rolling, like he asked for, and accept that'll come with some grip compromises, or he could get something totally different? Ground Controls/Purgatorys are good, but they're not fast.

Like I said, that's your opinion, Ground Control are much faster rolling than what he already has which is what he is asking for - Purgatory if he wants a bit of extra grip but GC front and rear roll reasonably fast.