Colnago C60 - Traditional 53cm MHCF

look565wong
look565wong Posts: 301
edited June 2016 in Your road bikes
Hi There,

Apologies in advance for not having this built up yet as still a few bits & bobs missing, but I'm just super eager to share it :oops:

Here's a little back ground on my C60:

Colnago C60
Colour - MHCF
Frame Set Traditional 53cm

Since I started road cycling back in 2003/4, I suppose like a lot of folks - have always wanted a lugged Colnago since I first saw the beautiful C40. At the time the obvious choice for me was the late C40 or the new C50, then came the Extreme C, Extreme Power & eventually the C59.
But for various reasons (out bid on eday, missed out on sales or wrong size on sales etc ……) I just never got to fulfil my desire until now, that’s after 12 years of wanting one :-)

At this point, I have to thank my dear understanding wife, who continuous to support without complaint my costly “addiction”!

The decision to go Traditional was simple for me - in my humble opinion it just looks “right” :-)
The colour scheme chosen was based on my liking for something discrete yet shows a degree of painting craftsmanship, :-) hence the MHCF option. A touch of colour but not too much & I like the partial nude carbon on show, it is a Colnago after all.
The bike & finish is absolutely gorgeous :-)

Special Thanks must go to Mike at Maestro (England, UK) for supplying me with this beauty.
I cannot be more happier with his service. He alway answers my emails promptly despite the fact that it was about a year before I actually ordered one from him after my initial inquiry.
I placed my order back in Mid-November 2015, it arrived at my door last Thursday after waiting 13 weeks.
In my mind, Mike is without doubt, the “man” to go to for a Colnago :-)

Grouppo is Campagnolo Record 2015 mechanical except for the Rotor 3D+ chain-set (which was from my previous bike) I’ve always ran Campagnolo, but had a wee fling with Shimano Ultegra Di2 with my last “good bike”, great as it was to use but I just cannot live with it anymore. Nothing wrong with it apart from just not my cup of tea! So, back to my old favourite for this build :-)

Wheels - I have a set of Fast Forward F2R carbon tubs from my previous Canyon.
But I'm thinking to maybe mix things up slightly with this new build & going old school with some hand-build Ambrosio Crono F20 alloy tubulars with some Chris King R45 hubs (which I got fairly cheaply on sale).
What do you think?
I already have some Ambrosias Nemisis & Excellight wheels (which I built myself, but was a bit of a small disaster until my LBS rescued it, so I have got him to build this new set instead :-) got to do it properly)

I had over a year to collect all the parts, buying whatever/whenever I had funds & after selling my Canyon last January.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 0&t=115725

I will endeavour to get this build up ASAP & list the full build list with weights, but in the mean time I've taken a few images just to show it off a bit :mrgreen:

Hope some of you might like it. Enjoy!

25023647336_c3849ac5b7_b.jpgC60 01 by look565w, on Flickr

24682358759_6bf8a35ab6_b.jpgC60 02 by look565w, on Flickr

24931931812_0b06547cab_b.jpgC60 03 by look565w, on Flickr

Cheers

Comments

• matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Nice!

Probably my favourite C60 colour way.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Lovely frame.
    I'd sell those bottle cages and get a set of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/arundel-mandibl ... ttle-cage/

I have them on a c59 and they look perfect with the Colnago
  • What are the wheels going to be? I would think it has to be 50 sections?
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Are the decals white or silver on the frame, if silver then I would swap out the saddle for an all black one or a black and blue one personally, and also would build a set of shallow rimmed all black wheels to go on it, that said its one classy frame and I cant wait to see it built up!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Thanks for the input chaps!

The "Colnago" on the down tube is silver, so the all black saddle makes sense.

I have a set of Fast Forward F2R shallow section carbon tubs which can be used but as indicated before - planning on a set of alloy tubular in the form of Ambrosia Crono F20 on Chris King hubs, old school!

Sorry, antsmithmk, I'm no fan of deeper section wheels. I'm too light & it's too windy in Scotland :mrgreen:

Cheers
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    So glad they decided to do traditional geometry again. This looks fantastic.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Christ! You're not worried about a bike build budget are ya?!!
    It'll be great
    (not jealous)..........(well?....a bit)
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    So glad they decided to do traditional geometry again. This looks fantastic.

Thanks NapD, yeah fortunately Colnago still makes Traditional in the C60, but it's getting less popular & demand is low, a quick look at the geo chart will tell you that unlike before, the sloping options have out numbered the traditional :-(
    I've been told that eventually, Ernesto might completely do away with Traditional altogether :-( I hope that is not true at all.
    So, grab one while you still can!

Christ! You're not worried about a bike build budget are ya?!!
    It'll be great
    (not jealous)..........(well?....a bit)

Johnny, Thanks - it's actually not as expensive as you think .......... well ok the frame is expensive. But I got mine from Mike at Maestro, who is a good bit cheaper than the rest & it comes with the original carbon seat post too.
    Some parts are hand-me-downs from my previous good bike & I had over a year to buy the grouppo, plus a good old fashion 24 months 0% interest free credit card to dampen the damage is all very manageable indeed - like a true tight fisted Scot I hear you say :-)

Plus, compare to a good number of bikes on this forum, mine is "modest", not to mention those millionaire bikes over at WeightWeenie ........... :mrgreen:

Cheers
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    going to look brilliant built up. however you can't put those bottle cages on it.

thats just wrong.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Campagnolo Shamal Mille wheels would look pretty damn good with that stunning frame.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • napoleond
    They didn't do traditional for c59 and only brought trad geometry out in c60 recently :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    They didn't do traditional for c59 and only brought trad geometry out in c60 recently :)

Hi Nap, as far as I know the C59 had traditional geo to begin when it came out, but towards the end of its production live Colnago stopped making them altogether. That's why for the last year or so, the ones I've seem in shops & websites remaining unsold C59's were mostly if not all are sloping geo :-(

If you do a search, you can see some really beautiful traditional C59's.

Yes, they have it back out now for the C60, but as I said, it's few & far between. Most of the ones you see people posting on forums or tested are sloping, which to me it's a real shame but then again I'm an old dinosaur :shock:

Cheers
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    That's my favourite colour scheme too. Saw one in a bike shop near me recently - it's absolutely beautiful! Enjoy....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Hi Nap, as far as I know the C59 had traditional geo to begin when it came out, but towards the end of its production live Colnago stopped making them altogether. That's why for the last year or so, the ones I've seem in shops & websites remaining unsold C59's were mostly if not all are sloping geo :-(

If you do a search, you can see some really beautiful traditional C59's.

Yes, they have it back out now for the C60, but as I said, it's few & far between. Most of the ones you see people posting on forums or tested are sloping, which to me it's a real shame but then again I'm an old dinosaur :shock:

Cheers

Afaik Colnago stopped making traditionl C59's at the end of 2013 in the run up to the 2014 release of the C60.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Very nice
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Beautiful - looking forward to the build :D
  • look565wong
    Hello there,

I think I've pretty much got this the way I want (and told to :oops: ) it to be, so here is the build list

All parts are NEW except for a few as indicated.

Colnago C60
    Colour - MHCF
    Frame Set Traditional 53cm

Frame Set & hardware
    C60 Frame 1165g
    (with BB Threadfit 82.5 cups, Headset bearings & rear Mech hanger)
    Colnago Carbon Fork 373g
    Colnago Carbon Seat Post 207g
    Sub Total = 1745g

Small parts
    Seat post clamp 25g
    Headset bearing wedge, covers & washer 13g
    Top cap & bolt 10g
    Steerer Expander 42g
    Stem Spacers x 3 12g
    BB Cable guide (customised cable tubes) & rubber grommet 14g
    Campagnolo CSD system Chain Catcher Devise 19g
    Sub Total = 135g

Grouppo (2015 Record 11s unless stated otherwise)
    Shifters L+R 382g
    Front Mech (S2 version) 78g
    Rear Mech 172g
    Brakes Front-Duel/Rear-Single pivot 294g
    Chorus Cassette 12-27T 279g
    Chain 225g
    Cables & Housing 180g
    Chainset 2014 Record UT 50/34 170mm 626g
    BB cups Campagnolo Pressfit OS 86.5 x 41 39g
    Sub Total = 2275g

Control & Contact Points
    Handle bar - Zipp Service Course SL-88 alloy Traditional Bend 40cm (C-C) 280g
    Stem - Zipp Service Course SL alloy -17 degree 90mm Beyond Black 126g
    Bar Tape - Lizard Skin 2.5mm 62g
    Saddle - Fizik Arione CX Carbon Braided Rail (Old) 185g
    Sub Total = 653g

Wheelset
    Chris King Hubs
    Front C45 28h Black 104g
    Rear C45 Ceramic 28h Black 216g
    Spokes - DT Revolution with brass nipples 6g each
    Rims - Ambrosio Crono F20 Tubular Alloy 380g each
    Tubulars - Victorias Corsa CX 251g each
    Skewers - Tune Ti 51g pair
    Tufo Tubular tapes 30g each
    Sub Total = 2031g

Grand Total (Without pedals & bottle cage)
    6839g or 15.05lb

I won't say too much now other than the fact that I'm super super happy with it & cannot wait to swing my leg over it hopefully in the next few days. I can see myself forming a very very long relationship with this :mrgreen:

Here is a few photos so hopefully you guys dig it :-)

26324179576_4d0782c0a0_b.jpg

26324173286_e38e8762b1_b.jpg

25747366303_818a1fa733_b.jpg

26257726572_95b8a8d932_b.jpg

26077234770_697324a43d_b.jpg

25747337753_d972535e3a_b.jpg

More images in the following link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/55693145@ ... 747384873/

Cheers & thanks for your patience!
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Chung - Looks featherweight mate - love it !

Hope it rides as good as it looks.

My C60 hits the road on Sunday - Happy Days !! :)
  • Looks superb, wel dun OP
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • napoleond
    Yep. Lovely.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Very nice!
    I will hopefully be in the position to purchase a C60 in the next month, but i will go for MHRD. Will probably be on Ultegra mechanical. I already have a set of Vision Trimax T35 carbon alloy wheels to use.

Need to Sell my current AC-R first however.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    How do you find the Crono rims?
    I never got on with mine, found them a bit too noodly...
    left the forum March 2023
  • look565wong
    How do you find the Crono rims?
    I never got on with mine, found them a bit too noodly...

Hi Ugo,

I've not had the chance to take the bike out yet, so cannot comment on the rims. Hopefully, my (lack of) power does not cause it to feel that way :D

I'll ride them a few times to see if that is the case & hopefully report back on this at a later date,

Cheers
  • look565wong
    Just got some new "shoes" for my bike (already) - 2016 Campagnolo Bora One 35 tubulars :mrgreen:

A quick photo from last night, apologies for the not so good picture quality

27323804151_ed73ac8754_h.jpg

Lost a few grams from my original Ambrosio Wheels, the Boras are bloody fantastic (despite just 150km on it) wheels, especially for the money I paid for it. It's easily the best full carbon tubs I've had so far!

The lack of nipple holes on the rim bed is brilliant when applying the glue, also the "recessed central channel" also help in setting the tubs when putting it on - It is well designed & thought through :D
    The wheels just seems to spin on it's own - without much effort, brilliant!
    Actual weight was 1,169g (Front 491 & Rear 678) compare to the CLAIMED 1,215g - amazing & very surprise as they tend to be way off (always heavier than claim) But the skewers are very porky though ........

I've got 25mm Vittorias Corsa CX's (as always) on them, ride quality is sublime. I'm a very happy bunny :D
    Even my wife's 9 year old piano student thought it look great - she likes the pink (purple) :mrgreen:

Oh, also changed the stem to a 100mm & added the popular Arundel Mandible carbon cages (Gloss carbon weave)

Cheers
  • fudgey
    Awesome. You will probably save another 100g if you cut the cables down haha

I knocked out a 100 miler on my C60 on Monday - lovely bike. I went for MHRD.
  • look565wong
    Fudgey wrote:
    Awesome. You will probably save another 100g if you cut the cables down haha

I knocked out a 100 miler on my C60 on Monday - lovely bike. I went for MHRD.

Thanks Fudgey, any chance you can share a picture or two of your MHRD please?

Cheers
  • fudgey
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but as you asked!
    I still haven't finished setting it up, so excuse the stack of 40mm worth of spacers under the stem. its a £600 ballsup if you cut you the steerer tube too short hence i have left it long.

All the bits

image_zpsh2a9gci9.jpeg

Beautiful colour!

image_zpspvesiqse.jpeg

Built

image_zps5y4b6ycp.jpeg

And the start of my big ride on Monday

image_zps0pivyz6w.jpeg
  • look565wong
    Fudgey wrote:
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but as you asked!
    I still haven't finished setting it up, so excuse the stack of 40mm worth of spacers under the stem. its a £600 ballsup if you cut you the steerer tube too short hence i have left it long.

All the bits

image_zpsh2a9gci9.jpeg

Beautiful colour!

image_zpspvesiqse.jpeg

Built

image_zps5y4b6ycp.jpeg

And the start of my big ride on Monday

image_zps0pivyz6w.jpeg

Fudgey, that looks bloody fabulous! Thanks for posting the photos.

I don't mind getting hijacked by your wee beauty at all :mrgreen:

I would say it deserves a thread of its own for sure, with build list & weight please!

I assume that's a 48s (or 50s)? That red is LUSH!

Do you mind if I ask where you got it from?

Cheers
  • fudgey
    Thank you. the pictures really do not do the paint justice!
    i have not weighed it, used Ultegra groupset, was going to go for the Di2 but the saving over mechanical enabled me to buy a Garmin and i managed to source the matching carbon seatpost that is no longer made, so that was quite expensive too...
    Most of it came from Merlin Cycles.

and yes, its a 50s