First build on a budget

burgessf
burgessf Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm trying to build my first bike without a huge amount of knowledge/experience - and on a budget after my last one was stolen. Decided to go for the build rather than buy option as I felt it might be more satisfying, and with a bit of research I could do OK for the money - with the added benefit of finally figuring out how things work. Advice on the below would be much appreciated.

I currently have a Felt Z85 2013 frame in good condition with stem/handlebars, forks, seat post and FSA Vero 50/34 compact chainset with bottom bracket.

I've spotted the following parts off another bike (that may be a crash victim - going to look into how this has affected everything) and was wondering about compatability and value:

Mavic Aksum race wheels
2007 Shinamo Ultegra: 2x10 speed shifters/brake levers, Front/rear Derailleur and casette
Shimano BR600 long reach brake calipers

My question is, with the above (unable to provide any more detail right now) - will it all work when put together (and of course if the groupset and wheels are in good shape) and would this be worth the budget I have put towards the bike (£250)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The wheels and Ultegra kit will be fine, but check they haven't been bent if crashed. Don't think the Z85 needs long drop brakes but they would probably do the job with the cartridges slid up a bit.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    On the face of it I can't see why that wouldn't work.

For clarification - your complete budget is £250, and this has included the price of the Z85?
    How much was the frame?
    And how much are the wheels and other bits?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • burgessf
    burgessf Posts: 3
    Yes that would include the frame which is in good condition, although not got some of the more particularly required tools or finishing kit.

Found through eBay and Gumtree hunting - the groupset etc. come off a bike that's being sold with a cracked Giant SCR C2, which is why I think its most likely been in a crash and so unsure of the possibly condition of the rest of the parts.

I'm unsure if this is good value though!