What cycle carrier ?

lewie1966
lewie1966 Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Road general
Hi Guys.
New to forum looking for some good advice. Any idea's out there for a cycle carrier to fit onto my Ford Focus estate car.
Its only for one road bike and I don't want it to fix to tow bar. I'm not interested in spending mega bucks but am looking for the most appropriate piece of kit .
Thanks in advance Paul.

Comments

• Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    Well I don't know if its viable for you (I drive a Subaru) but I picked up a Yakima Forklift a few days ago and really enjoy it. That means you need to have roof rails, and no idea if you do. Keep in mind that you do need to spend a additional small sum to make the QR a locking QR so no one can run off with the skewer or your bike. Not that I would trust leaving my bike unattended on it for any length of time.

https://www.yakima.com/forklift
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    If you have the rails and cross bars these are good because they don't take up much storage in the garage/shed:

http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/bic ... rs/sanremo

and a bit cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-RACK-Rem ... 543&sr=1-1
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bung it in the car and get a roof box for the luggage.
    Better for security and fuel efficiency too.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Look at Saris bones.Rack tightens on by ratchet so is very well held.Take wheels off and put in car to aid fuel consumption.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I use a cheapo set of Thule carriers (vintage 2000-ish) across the roof bars that take the (also Thule) roof box on our MPV.

As set up we can do three bikes or a the box and one bike. I think the box and two bikes would be possible, but iffy.

I see a lot of folk with super-fandango carriers that seem to offer few advantages. I am a short-arse, but still have no trouble reaching bikes onto the (fairly tall) car.

I dislike tailgate jobs, as I've seen too many over the years with bikes hanging off at alarming angles. 'd also worry about the added width.

My feeling is this: Even a pretty keen cyclist drives very few miles and very few days with bike or bikes on car. If it'll go inside, put it inside. If you can store soft luggage on the roof (in a box) and the bike(s) in the car, do so.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    janwal wrote:
    Look at Saris bones.Rack tightens on by ratchet so is very well held.Take wheels off and put in car to aid fuel consumption.

This. I have the two-bike version and once on, feels as solid as a rock. Takes minutes to set up and take off, and there's nt much wheel overlapping the width of the car so you don't need to worry about narrow country roads (which I drive on quite often).
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    janwal wrote:

This. I have the two-bike version and once on, feels as solid as a rock. Takes minutes to set up and take off, and there's nt much wheel overlapping the width of the car so you don't need to worry about narrow country roads (which I drive on quite often).

They are especially great if you don't have much storage space at home (goes up through a loft hatch easily). Bit of faffing with tape to protect the car though and you obviously can't open the boot with it on. Some people mentioned having to take pedals off but I didn't see the need.

Pretty cheap as well (if you're not in a hurry, wait until Halfords have another 20% off offer and get for £28 and then knock off 10% BC to get for £25).