cutting handlebar

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited May 2016 in MTB beginners
So I got a handlebar from a friend but its 800mm with 40mm rise its way too wide and I'm only running it on 60mm stem so I think it works quite well as I couldn't feel the front-end when going uphill. Hard to get through narrow tree gap too when I rode yesterday, its definitely more stable and have more confidence going downhill.

I'm still looking for a shorter stem to compliment the bar might go down to 40mm.

So when I wanna cut it down to 740 mm maybe, do you cut it 20mm each side? Stupid question really but I wanna know how to cut it :).

Also the bar is about 300g I think is that heavy for a bar?

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    It just depends how good you are with a hacksaw and file, a better cut would come from using a pipe cutter, do yo know any pipe fitters?
  • core00
    It just depends how good you are with a hacksaw and file, a better cut would come from using a pipe cutter, do yo know any pipe fitters?

I think we have a pipe cutter, i forgot if there is a guide on the bar.
  • core00
    Okay nevermind I removed the grip and saw a guide its been cut to 760.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    300g is about on par for a mid quality alloy bar of that width. Lighter alloy or CF (obviously) are available.

As an indication I have a mid quality CF bar and that is 123g for 680mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • core00
    The Rookie wrote:
    300g is about on par for a mid quality alloy bar of that width. Lighter alloy or CF (obviously) are available.

As an indication I have a mid quality CF bar and that is 123g for 680mm.

yeah seems like it, the bar brand is frs pro, haven't really weigh it but googled it and info says its about 300g+ in full width but its been cut down to 760mm. What stem length do you think is best to compliment a 760mm bar? But actually planning to cut it down to 740mm.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    The stem length depends on the bike and you. 40mm-60mm is a good range.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • core00
    Kickaxe wrote:
    The stem length depends on the bike and you. 40mm-60mm is a good range.

Oh I see, currently running on 60mm stem and going uphill I can't seems to feel the front-end as much. Idk if its just me in a wrong gear (always put the gear on lower/small rear gear) when going up hill or something.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    It's true, you can't climb as precisely with a setup like that. That's why I'm old school and and use 690 bars with 70mm stem, which I quite like, even after trying out several other bar widths etc. This is partly because my favorite trail has many very close trees, and a wider bar would basically be too wide.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • core00
    Kickaxe wrote:
    It's true, you can't climb as precisely with a setup like that. That's why I'm old school and and use 690 bars with 70mm stem, which I quite like, even after trying out several other bar widths etc. This is partly because my favorite trail has many very close trees, and a wider bar would basically be too wide.

Okay phew at least its not me guess I just have to change my setup, but I've decided to cut it down to 740mm hopefully that's about the right width for me and will replace the stem down to 40mm. Some red route at Swinley have tight gaps and I actually got stuck the other day the bar hit the tree and nearly fell over.

I like wide bar because I feel more stable going downhill which is a plus, I feel faster and more confident descending now compare to last time.

Anyway thanks for the input :)