Where do you put smart/android phone when cycling?

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited June 2016 in Road general
My wife has just got me a new android mobile phone. It's a lot bigger than the small basic mobile I have had up until now for calls and texts, that fitted easily in my zipped jersey pocket. As the new phone is much bigger, like all smart/android phones nowadays, it's too big for the zipped jersey pocket. I think there would be a danger of it bouncing out the bigger unzipped pocket and it's too big for my saddle bag. I don't want it mounted to use as GPS as I have a Garmin for that.

Just wondering where you guys keep your smart/android phones when cycling?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    How big is big? My S6 Galaxy is fine on all pockets and has a large case around it. If it's a phablet then that's different. I'd advise a cheap phone for emergencies.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Google "sticky pod". Put it in that,or something similar. It will then stay in one of the main pockets and stay dry
  • ForumNewbie
    How big is big? My S6 Galaxy is fine on all pockets and has a large case around it. If it's a phablet then that's different. I'd advise a cheap phone for emergencies.
    This is the phone, normal smart/android size, but very slim and quite light:
    https://kazam.mobi/tornado-348.html
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    With a 4.8 screen it's smaller than most modern smart phones. My 5.2 LG phone fits in my under saddle bag (Topeak), I leave enough space so I can slide it in along the top of the bag, above the spare inners. It took a bit of arranging to find a way to make this work though.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    In my jersey pocket.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    I have a Sony Z5 which i pop in a ziploc bag and stick in the back pocket of my jersey or if your saddle bag is big enough put it in there. Just dont do what I did once which was check the phone, put it back in the saddle bag and find out 6km later I hadnt zipped it shut.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    NapoleonD wrote:
    In my jersey pocket.

This
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    NapoleonD wrote:
    In my jersey pocket.

This

This.

Unless you crash it isn't going to bounce out of a jersey pocket.

And yes I have crashed and yes it was subsequently run over by 2 cars but not to worry, I managed to get home without losing my ride on Strava. :lol:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    usually leave it at home, but if i bring it to take some pics/whatever then jersey pocket is fine - if it's hot or raining put it in a ziploc bag to keep it dry
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    I stick my wallet, keys and phone (Sony Z1) in a carrier bag in my jersey pocket. Cheap and the extra bits give it more bulk to hold in the pocket (from the keys, not the wallet unfortunately).
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Get a pay as you go SIM card and put £5 credit on it. Put that SIM in your old phone.

When you go for a ride, take your old phone with you and divert/forward all calls on your new phone to it.

That's what I do.

Or you could just put your SIM card in your old phone when you go for a ride (If they're not on the same network your old phone would need to be unlocked).
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    This is the phone, normal smart/android size, but very slim and quite light:
    https://kazam.mobi/tornado-348.html

Should fit virtually all pockets easily. Middle generally bigger.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    NapoleonD wrote:
    In my jersey pocket.

This

Same here
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    i keep my old htc desire for the bike and my nexus for daily use. the the htc dies, i'll get another small cheap phone for on the bike.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ForumNewbie
    Thanks all, I'll try it in the non-zip jersey pocket in a case/cover so it doesn't get scratched from any other things in the pocket.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    When I've not got a big enough zipped pocket I use a Lezyne Caddy Sack which wedges the phone nicely into Jersey pockets and has space for cash and keys.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    Phonepac from Velopac. Keep my phone, money, cafe loyalty cards (who doesn't like a free coffee after buying 8!) and house key in there. Cheaper alternative is to use a ziploc bag.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I don't own a mobile phone. I don't have a signal at home. Just like it's always been.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mine (Note 4, i.e. huge) gets wrapped in a plastic bag, usually with key, credit card and a bit of cash: then put in the jersey / jacket pocket. No problem.
  • mason5697
    mason5697 Posts: 63
    Topeak aero wedge. Large size. My galaxy s6 edge plus fits in here. and it's a big phone.
  • Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    Galaxy S7 (water proof) I put it on a quadlock on my handlebars, its my cycling computer.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    iPete wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    In my jersey pocket.

This

This.

That. My S7 fits in a jersey pocket, always the middle one with cash on the commute.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    In a ziplock, in a rear pocket.
    Why overcomplicate things?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...I leave it in my kitchen.

Phone for any ride is a cheap Vodafone PAYG. Cost me £10 brand new a few months ago after the previous one gave up after ~5 years of faultless service. It weighs next to nothing, battery life is measured in weeks and the coverage is excellent.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have 2 phones: S6 Edge+, and a S3 Neo for cycling. The S3 goes in a padded case in my back pocket, the expensive S6 stays at home.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    Small, thin, plastic bag. Wrapped up several times in my Jersey.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    this feels like one of those doesnt everyone do this type of questions :| but mine just goes in my back jersey pocket, thats it,no special handling of it, no special spare phones or anything, I put it in a nice ziplock bag if its chucking it down, but its fine.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You could always do what some drivers do and hold the phone in your hand :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In a ziplock, in a rear pocket.
    Why overcomplicate things?

^^^ this
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • ForumNewbie
    Thanks for all the comments. I was just concerned about keeping it loose in the jersey pocket, as it didn't fit in the zipped pocket, but as it doesn't seem to be a problem I'll probably do that. Alternatively I could just continue to take my small Pay As You Go handset when out on the bike.