knee pads

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Any knee pads recommendation? something light and comfortable to wear even in searing heat in summer or cold winter time but have good protection.

been looking at Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee Guards and their enduro one, both have good reviews just want to know what the others think about these pads. Though the pro seems to have lots of protection than the enduro one.

Comments

• chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    I had the launch pro and found it a bit cumbersome for most use to be honest and eventually i took to leaving them at home unless I was hitting stuff that was a bit riskier. For my average trail loops I wouldn't bother. I use these now. Honestly they're a lot better they're really unobtrusive when riding and the longer I wear them the less I notice theyre there. I found with the Fox pads they'd be quite irritating after a couple of hours.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    POAH wrote:
    trail skins

I have the Dainese Trail skins in a M and they are great. Literally can't feel them unless I want to. Also, besides my knees having survived a simple drop test onto the floor, they have been saved several times by the pads (including some situations that must have hurt quite a bit-still no pain)

You might want to go to the next size up if in doubt.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    core00 wrote:
    ...something light and comfortable to wear even in searing heat in summer or cold winter time but have good protection
    Light, comfortable, protective choose any two

Have tried loads of knee pads over the years and basically they fall into two categories hard and soft shell. The hardshells are tough and protective and *if* you find a pair that actually fit your legs properly they'll stay put and be comfortable but not in searing heat and they'll never be light

D30/VPD is often touted as a soft-hardshell but in practice I find it stiffens up in cold weather and hangs on to moisture in warm/wet conditions

Softshell pads are more adaptable and often comfortable from the start but the lighter, more minimal design compromises their ability to stay put and protect in the event of an accident. Also beware the shape of the foam itself. Some designs e.g. Trailskins have it dialled but other designs that essentially hinge in the middle are just awful. And armoured leg warmers are a complete waste of time

Be prepared to buy loads and send loads back
    HTH
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    I have tried some different ones, 661 ones i tried were very small fitting, the Fox enduro ones i currently have are light, comfy but dint imagine theyd offer much protection.

Going to buy either Dainese Trail Skins or Race Face D30 ones next
  • core00
    so bought myself troy lee design 5450 in Small however the grip on the top bit is loose and kind slides down when I walk around, other than the rest of the pad fits well. Should I go x-small? but I'm afraid the rest of the pad is going to be too small.

I really wanna use it this weekend and its my only guard at the moment :(
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Don B wrote:
    I have tried some different ones, 661 ones i tried were very small fitting, the Fox enduro ones i currently have are light, comfy but dint imagine theyd offer much protection.

I found the same with my 661 pads, I bought the small but god they were tight!!
  • core00
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    Don B wrote:

I found the same with my 661 pads, I bought the small but god they were tight!!

Ordered an xs hoping that will fit perfectly, has anyone experienced Chain Reaction's telephone ordering? I ordered xs on the phone while I was asking about their return process, it seems flawless and the guy I spoke was nice and sounds like he just woken up by my call aha.
  • core00
    Aw so tried the knee guard today and stiching is coming off already on both sides :/ where the knee cap is. Wonder if CRC will do something about it :/
  • Ross Gardner
    Ross Gardner Posts: 230
    I have got some Fox Launch Knee Pads myself. I was wondering... my knee warmers should go over them, right?