Mudguards

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I haven't really done wet weather riding yet with my new bike, and I can't find the subject which enquired about them...

Anyway, the subject mentioned something about the fact that small guards that protected the forks, etc (can't remember the technical name for them) are better than standard ones.

Maybe some suggestions, or maybe you could steer me to that topic?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Originally the Mucky Nutz Bender Fender.

http://www.muckynutz.com/

Now many generic copies out there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • muttley_109
    muttley_109 Posts: 177
    I've got a mudhugger which works well. Tough and doesn't move around

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I made myself one out of a thin 1l coke bottle just the other day, using a printed out template and a scalpel.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I've got a mudhugger which works well. Tough and doesn't move around

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

+potato. MH are brilliant. Ran them for the first time this winter and they were noticeably better than the Crudcatchers and other stuff I'd tried before. I now commute (70% off road) on the Cotic a few times a week so they've stayed on and they continue to do a good job, even though the trails refuse to completely dry!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Decathlon do the MuckyNutz copies for a fraction of the price
  • Mucky Nutz, easy to fit or remove, weigh next to nothing, don't flap and rattle about and they look good too!

They don't completely stop you getting dirty, but you're into the wrong sport if you're bothered by that too much :D
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    +potato. MH are brilliant. Ran them for the first time this winter and they were noticeably better than the Crudcatchers and other stuff I'd tried before. I now commute (70% off road) on the Cotic a few times a week so they've stayed on and they continue to do a good job, even though the trails refuse to completely dry!

I use a mudhugger on the front works great has a better curvature around the wheel, made some velcro straps so it's easy to take off and clean.

Thinking of buying the race version for abit more coverage over the top of the wheel.

I've got a crud catcher on the rear works ok, only tend to use it on rides into work.
  • WinNT
    WinNT Posts: 21
    Ross Gardner,
    What do you want to protect? The fork, your face, your trousers or your back?

If everything mentioned, only full size mudguards will work:
    prod84326_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505
    And even with them your shoes will be dirty when you cross a puddle.

If you do not mind having some mud on your back, you can go for smaller mudguards which is easy to put and remove.
  • Ross Gardner
    WinNT wrote:
    Ross Gardner,
    What do you want to protect? The fork, your face, your trousers or your back?

I just really want to protect the bike to be honest. If I'm going to go out in the wet, I'll plan my apparel accordingly.
    WinNT wrote:
    If everything mentioned, only full size mudguards will work:
    prod84326_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505

For some reason, large mudguards look wrong. It's like, "I don't know art, but this isn't it."
    WinNT wrote:
    And even with them your shoes will be dirty when you cross a puddle.

Don't care. I've got the shoes for riding, and they are getting used. Overshoes I could get if pushed.
  • Ross Gardner
    I have purchased the Mucky Nutz face fender and Gut fender. Thanks for the advice.