Voodoo hoodoo floating disc brakes

connoraslett96
connoraslett96 Posts: 32
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys
Sorry to flood the forum I have a 2012 voodoo hoodoo and was wandering if it's compatible to have floating rotars I don't know much about them and I am getting into it slowly so could you let Me know and also what I need to get, also any other upgrades let me know :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why would you want to?

They will fit the wheel, if you have Shimano callipers they often foul the calliper at the rivets.

They offer no real benefit especially on an XC bike like the voodoo.

Do you want to improve your bike or just tart it up?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why would you want to?

They will fit the wheel, if you have Shimano callipers they often foul the calliper at the rivets.

They offer no real benefit especially on an XC bike like the voodoo.

Do you want to improve your bike or just tart it up?
    I want to improve but I haven't got a massive budget £300-£400 I would look myself but being a rookie I don't know what wheels or forks etc etc
    Quick problem I was wandering you could help with when I brake the wheel moves (looks like it bends) towards the disc the quick release is all right and snug
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The flex in the wheel is more about the wheel build spoke tension etc.

If your looking at upgrades then new wheels, forks, wider bars, stem etc are a better option to look at.

Then there's the obvious things people change on there bikes seat, grips, pedals.

Only change the discs if they are warped/ damaged.
  • swod1 wrote:
    The flex in the wheel is more about the wheel build spoke tension etc.

If your looking at upgrades then new wheels, forks, wider bars, stem etc are a better option to look at.

Then there's the obvious things people change on there bikes seat, grips, pedals.

Only change the discs if they are warped/ damaged.
    Okay thank you that's really appreciated :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Floating rotors are completely pointless unless you're on a downhill bike doing high speed runs down alpine black trails several kilometres long on hot days.
    In the UK, on a xc bike they won't get hot enough to make any difference at all. They will just add weight for no benefit.
    Sounds like you've got quite flexy wheels or forks.
    Try getting the wheels re-tensioned. Unfortunately, a bit of wheel and fork flex is inevitable with a 29er unless you've got very good (expensive) wheels and forks.
  • Floating rotors are completely pointless unless you're on a downhill bike doing high speed runs down alpine black trails several kilometres long on hot days.
    In the UK, on a xc bike they won't get hot enough to make any difference at all. They will just add weight for no benefit.
    Sounds like you've got quite flexy wheels or forks.
    Try getting the wheels re-tensioned. Unfortunately, a bit of wheel and fork flex is inevitable with a 29er unless you've got very good (expensive) wheels and forks.
    Sorry I forgot to say my voodoo hoodoo is 2012 spec which is 26" :/