Hello everybody!

Kitz
Kitz Posts: 63
edited May 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

New to this sport and to the forum so thought I'd drop in and say hello.

So I live in Shropshire. Longmynd, and some of the local forestry routes will be my main stomping ground. Have already spent a bit of time on the mynd and love it!

I have done some MTB before, but only as a kid/teenager and nothing I would count as memorable experience or useful, so pretty well starting from scratch. I do remember how much fun it all was though.
I have been doing triathlon/roadie riding for a few years, but something got me wanting to get back into MTB, so here I am!

So things have changed a bit! Dropper posts (WOW) lockable suspension etc. Can't see how it was possible without!

So I never had a full sus before. The best I could afford was a specialized hard tail, can't remember what, which I scrimped and saved for a set of RST 301 forks which had about 50mm of sprung travel and bottomed out on a pebble!

So now as a first go bike I've found a very well priced 2015 ex demo Saracen Kili Flyer 121 with a reverb post. Love it! Kind of heavy on the climbs, but then I'm used to full carbon road bikes. I have a lot to learn! I'm fairly confident on the trails, but I've only done moderate runs so far, and I'm pretty slow I think! Love it though! Already have my eye on another bike. May have to let a couple of the road/tri bikes go and get an upgrade! :D

Looking forward to learning a bunch and getting out on the trails as much as poss!

Adam.

Comments

• M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    Welcome back. You are now riding a proper bike. Have you burned the Lycra?
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • Kitz
    M9DBO wrote:
    Welcome back. You are now riding a proper bike. Have you burned the Lycra?

Haha! Is that a required ritual?? :D

Was thinking of keeping a road bike and a small scattering of the right gear for the odd summer ride out. I'm assuming you're in the "NO" camp when it comes to that idea? :D
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    That's a very bad idea ;D
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Kitz
    Kickaxe wrote:

And if I sold them all, I could get an amazing MTB! :D
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Kitz wrote:
    Kickaxe wrote:

And if I sold them all, I could get an amazing MTB! :D

Exactly! :D
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Welcome pal. I'd keep the roadie stuff. But it'll only be a tool to enable you to ride the mtb better haha
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • Kitz
    Welcome pal. I'd keep the roadie stuff. But it'll only be a tool to enable you to ride the mtb better haha

Cheers. Yeah I'm really torn. I like a road ride on a nice warm evening, and I can set off from my house with no hastle. I've got some exploring to do to see if there are any worth while trails within rideable distance from my house. I think a couple on Benthall woods, but I'm not sure. That being said, I've not been out on my roadie since I got my MTB, and am taking a day off to try Llandegla trails on Friday. Never been excited enough to take a day off for a road ride! :)