Can I replace a Shimano Dura Ace 7800 10 speed cassette w/ a 105 5800 11 speed cassette?

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited June 2016 in Road general
This maybe a bit of a silly question but I've just put some old Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 on my aero bike (it has standard shallow shimano wheels at the moment) and they look amazing!
One problem is that the rear wheel has an old 10 speed Dura Ace (7800) cassette on it and I currently run 105 5800 11 speed. Is there any way of making my 11 speed cassette fit on the old wheels or do I have to save my pennies for the future?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You'll need to change the freehub. I think a standard DT Swiss 240 part will fit. They have two variants, standard and lightweight. The weight difference is not substantial. You will have to redish the wheel afterwards, but it's only a matter of a mill-and-a-half or thereabouts.
  • h.m.s.salty
    h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
    964Cup wrote:
    You'll need to change the freehub. I think a standard DT Swiss 240 part will fit. They have two variants, standard and lightweight. The weight difference is not substantial. You will have to redish the wheel afterwards, but it's only a matter of a mill-and-a-half or thereabouts.
    This all sounds a bit complicated for me... would it be easier to take it to a LBS to do?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Most free hubs are easy to change - usually just a big hex key in the middle. If you can manage to swap a cassette you will be fine.

Edit: whoops, didn't read the dishing bit.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    964Cup wrote:
    This all sounds a bit complicated for me... would it be easier to take it to a LBS to do?
    Yes, easier to get an LBS to do it if you're not familiar with truing wheels.