New cervelo S5 frame anyone want one?

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
My cervelo S5 VWD (previous version) developed a hairline crack and cervelo have agreed to swap it over. They will be sending through a new one which will be the new S5. It took me so long to get it to a shop and sorted out (9 months) i hung it up and forgot it was there as have had two more bikes since. They have no stock at the moment and should be sent to me july size 54. I have got to strip the old one of the di2 groupset thats on it. Now i have a different bike with sram red but will be swapping to etap i think. When the cervelo arrives i will have no need for it. Anyone thinking of buying one as i will only sell it. Sigma are wanting £3500 which seems strong. I will either sell it just the frame in the bix or can have it built up with the di2 and then sell it complete. Anyone know what i should sell it for? Never had this situation before. Ta

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I'd been told by a someone in the trade that generally people expect around a 30% discount from the lowest shop price for a brand new item, to compensate for the loss of warranty. I guess that's going to vary massively depending on how expensive and how risky the item is but with Cervelo frames being so lovely, expensive and having a good warranty you'd kind of think they'd be at the top end of that.

54cm is a popular size but the market for the top-end S5 is going to be tiny so you'll probably have to be patient to find the right buyer or else you'd have to knock off an unreasonable amount to to sell quickly.

The S5 is a new model this year isn't it so no danger of being outdated soon?

Just got to cross your fingers and hope they don't suddenly dump them at half price like the R5's a couple of years ago!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Our head guide in Majorca has an S5, and it's a very nice looking bike (in black).

Not sure how Cervelo handle warranty claims, but in my experience the major brands (SPecialized, Trek, etc.) are very good with claims, and recently replaced my fork FOC on my Tarmac with no questions asked.

If you can show proof of purchase, I don't think they're too bothered who you are, and this makes sense to me. If a frame cracks, they should stand by their product, regardless of how many times it has changed hands, especially if the bike is well looked after and the fault is structural (as opposed to a crash, etc.)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I wouldn't rely on Cervelo's good offices, especially if you're talking about a warranty-replacement frame in the first place. The new S5 is quite different to the old one (I have a Team) - shorter head tube, different lay-up; so be careful about sizing. Price-wise there are often substantial discounts on the S5 (as the market is quite small); I got my (2012) frame new in 2014 for 1/3 of retail from a bike shop via eBay. So I'd say 50% of retail will sell it, but not much more. It's a fantastic frame, but thoroughly uncompromising - far and away the least comfortable bike I own, albeit also clearly the fastest.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Thanks for your input guys. I wont be in a rush to sell it. Was clearly the quickest bike ive had too other than my shiv for obvious reasons. Cant fault how good cervelo were with the old one. Wont be ina. Rush to sell it as i dont need the frame nor need to give it away so would ignore silly offere anyway as may built it up and leave it in my house in mallorca to save flying a bike back and forth.

Thanks for your input. Tempted to build it and ride it have to say.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550

Not sure how Cervelo handle warranty claims, but in my experience the major brands (SPecialized, Trek, etc.) are very good with claims, and recently replaced my fork FOC on my Tarmac with no questions asked.

If you can show proof of purchase, I don't think they're too bothered who you are, and this makes sense to me. If a frame cracks, they should stand by their product, regardless of how many times it has changed hands, especially if the bike is well looked after and the fault is structural (as opposed to a crash, etc.)

It's officially the original owner only so that's what I meant about loss of warranty. Maybe they would stand behind it but you'd want a chunk off for the risk.
  • Build it up, ride it, enjoy it, sell it when you need to
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles