Cycle to Work Schemes

rhodrich
rhodrich Posts: 867
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
So I seem to have ended up on a 'cyclists committee' at work, with the purpose of trying to get more people to commute to work by bike (yay!). One of the things that I've suggested is to improve our cycle to work scheme offering, which is currently run by cycle solutions: https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/

Basically, this scheme is rubbish, as it only allows you to buy bikes through them, at full price, online only. They have a very poor range, and are expensive, so it's really not worth the bother.

I know that there are a lot better schemes out there, but which are the best? Ideally would want one that I could spend vouchers with, with a wide range of choice, and the option to test the bikes at 'bricks and mortar' premises, rather than just online.

Any recommendations would be most welcome!
1938 Hobbs Tandem
1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
1960 Mercian Superlight Track
1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
1980 Harry Hall
1986 Dawes Galaxy
1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
1988 Pearson
1989 Condor
1993 Dawes Hybrid
2016 Ridley Helium SL
*Currently on this

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    We use Cyclescheme which is probably the biggest of them. Seems to work well.
  • Best is to self adminster. We do that at work, buy any bike from any shop, online or not, in the sale or not. These schemes don't do much for their money.
  • Ours is run by Halfords.

I have had two bikes from them now, maybe not the best of places but your average punter will feel comfortable there.
    This might be a factor for getting bums on saddles.

If the company will self administer, that will cater for the more serious rider.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I can't find out who we use here (I've not joined it) but others have complained about payments not being taken and duplicate payments being taken each month and have said it's been a nightmare to sort out.

I got mine through cyclescheme with a previous company. Everything seemed to work well.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Cyclescheme at our company too. There's a choice of 7 retailers in town, BSO shops, independent shops, specialized concept store, evans. Also online retailers can be used, wiggle, crc etc.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Cyclescheme for our small office, too. My purchase had a slight hiccup - payments weren't taken for about six months or so, but rather than cause any fuss I just paid the arrears in a lump sum from the next pay packet.

A few others in the office bought bikes, too, and had no problems, so I guess overall they're okay.

I'm a bit lukewarm about the C2W Scheme, but that's not the question you're asking ;)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I can't find out who we use here (I've not joined it) but others have complained about payments not being taken and duplicate payments being taken each month and have said it's been a nightmare to sort out.

I got mine through cyclescheme with a previous company. Everything seemed to work well.
    Wouldn't be surprised if that is due to the payroll people at your place rather than the company who administer the scheme.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Thanks for the suggestions. Cyclescheme looks to be a safe bet, and a lot better than what we've got at the moment. I'll try and suggest self adminstration, but I don't think they're going to be game for that.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Cyclescheme looks to be a safe bet, and a lot better than what we've got at the moment. I'll try and suggest self adminstration, but I don't think they're going to be game for that.
    they might if you volunteer to be the administrator?
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • jeepie1999
    jeepie1999 Posts: 78
    We use the halfords scheme which has a couple of good bits. You can get bikes from lots of other shops so are not tied to halfords.

Also, at the end of the period there is a tax liability if your employer gives you an asset. Halfords get around this by the employer giving halfords the asset and halfords renting it to the user for nothing. Other schemes make do this too, I don't know.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Same here, works well, and they have a pretty broad range of retailers you can buy from. The worst thing is lack of flexibility over where you can get bikes, as you point out, although good communication and admin is important too.

However, it doesn't include Halfords, which is where your average punter would most likely go to get a bike (as pointed out above) due to them not having the intimidation factor that might be felt going to a 'proper' bike shop.

At the end of the year's payments I had to pay a one-off fee (I think about £75 but depends on the value of the bike) to rent the bike for another 3 years, at which point it's completely mine.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Veronese68 wrote:

Same here, works well, and they have a pretty broad range of retailers you can buy from. The worst thing is lack of flexibility over where you can get bikes, as you point out, although good communication and admin is important too.

However, it doesn't include Halfords, which is where your average punter would most likely go to get a bike (as pointed out above) due to the lack of intimidation that might be felt going to a 'proper' bike shop.
    No, the worst thing is that as middleman they take their cut, which the retailers don't like, so a lot of them respond by:

1. not accepting them at all
    2. Dumping the 10% fee on you
    3. Getting narked enough not to give you good deals.

Self-administered is undoubtedly the best if your employer will go for it.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    We're with Cyclescheme and happy with them. They provide the voucher to the staff and invoice the company. It's down to us to administer the salary sacrifice/payroll deductions. Not aware that CS administer payroll deductions.