Cannondale Synapse - Semi curated build !

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited June 2016 in Your road bikes
So after two years of owning my Defy Advanced, I decided to buy one of the Evo's bargain frames from Paul's cycles, which was superb, but could not get it to fit *that well*. In turn, I have been having a bit of a bad neck off and of course on the bike, which could be the legacy of a crash in 09 when a car took me off the road. But, it could be 'average' bike fit as well, so this time, I went sensible, after selling the Evo for more than I paid for it I bought this 54cm Synapse 6 £1600 - £99 off 2016 stock with a small mark on the fork. Sold the 105 kit and put on my Dura-Ace chain-set and brakes, along with Ultegra shifting and a Zipp stem. Wheels are the ubiquitous Mavic Ksyrium Elite which I love. Power saddle 143mm. The BB30A adaptor was supplied by C-Bear in Belgium and works like a dream. Hopefully the stem will go lower in time but neck comes first. It is a lovely smooth capable bike and easy to do a solid 60 miler for fun as just leaves you fresh and interestingly the Strava PB's come in later in the ride. Lacks the overall zest of an evo but that stands to reason, climbs as well as I can and descends wonderfully. No complaints here at all. Ebbing towards 45 years young now and actually, the right bike at the right time I think. The dull light does the frame no favours, but stunning in the flesh and pops a treat. It is a funny bike as you ride along thinking you are bimbling, but you look at the Garmin and it is holding tempo 18-22mph on the fast/flat without trying as deceptively smooth. Like that lamentable song says "I never expected that". :mrgreen:

27212619685_9e9f5280ef_c.jpg

27178599636_04375e0da2_c.jpg

27212689495_938b0c1822_c.jpg

26606001064_104170cfe9_c.jpg

27115943602_8b7f745fa4_c.jpg

27115873082_4144c859e9_c.jpg

27115889392_c953c59a03_c.jpg

26607103423_4d2602336f_c.jpg

27212520255_10dd7f7605_c.jpg

For reference, the bike is cleaned and maintained with one of these

https://www.merlincycles.com/fenwicks-s ... 81185.html

and these

https://www.merlincycles.com/fenwicks-f ... 90427.html

Though I use morgan blue chain cleaner as the best there is. Get the odd coffee stop comment and how clean the bike is but I do around 115 miles a week. Nothing like a silent bike !

Comments

• img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Very nice bike. But then i may be biased!
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    nice looking bike pete
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Lovely bike, really like the colour too.
  • bristolpete
    Cheers all !

A far cry from the beasts of yesteryear, but I reckon a year, maybe two on this in the least to get in shape and then perhaps if the injury calms down, a stiffer than a stiff thing bike. Who knows? Late last year I thought it was over with a bike, such was the pain in my neck.
  • I like that alot, lovely colour!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    How does it ride compared to the Defy? Looking to upgrade in the next year and debating another Defy or a Synapse. Am assuming that you moved drivetrain, wheels and finishing kit over so have an idea on what difference the frame alone makes.

Looking at 2 around the same price at £2k for 105/carbon/hydro or an extra few hundred for Ultegra. Will wait for the Autumn end of season deals regardless.
  • bristolpete
    GrenW wrote:
    How does it ride compared to the Defy? Looking to upgrade in the next year and debating another Defy or a Synapse. Am assuming that you moved drivetrain, wheels and finishing kit over so have an idea on what difference the frame alone makes.

Looking at 2 around the same price at £2k for 105/carbon/hydro or an extra few hundred for Ultegra. Will wait for the Autumn end of season deals regardless.

I think the Defy I had the Advanced SL ISP rode akin to a top race bike, like a Tarmac, but out descended everything I had ridden previously. This bike is as fast however, but smoother, less road chatter which would indicate the Defy was 'stiffer'. But, both very good bikes and ideal for recreational road cyclists I think. I only sold the Defy to fund the Evo, but alas, the evo were simply a tad too long. Would have got another Defy but no interest in disc brakes until I am forced to do so. It is the white elephant to me but what do I know. :D
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    How does one curate a bicycle? Is it a museum piece?

(I do like Synapses)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Fine work sir, very nice indeed.

Is that a Merlin sourced Zipp stem?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Sounds like he's in Marketing... :-/
  • bristolpete
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    How does one curate a bicycle? Is it a museum piece?

(I do like Synapses)

No, I realised a lot of people call off the shelf frames 'custom builds' when in fact a true custom build is a bespoke frame, one only, yours type thing. So I call frames or bikes that have been built with non stock parts curated I suppose. But you can call it what you like if it turns you on to the point of posting about it. Cheers.
  • bristolpete
    Daniel B wrote:
    Fine work sir, very nice indeed.

Is that a Merlin sourced Zipp stem?

Pro Bike Kit. Cheap as chips. Thanks.
  • bristolpete
    boblo wrote:
    Sounds like he's in Marketing... :-/

Who me ? Nope just say it as it is. Cheers.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Anyway, I've got an off the shelf Synapse ultegra disk, in the green colourway which I really like but I have to admit I actually prefer the colour of your bike. I'm also running a Six which is a lot more aggressive, it's really nice to have the choice!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I had to look at the photos a couple of times before concluding that maybe the colour scheme actually does work and is part of a very nice bike indeed - well done. Does it match your eyes?

I've got the 2015 Ultegra version which is in light blue (and doesn't match my eyes!) and I like it very much - both colour and bike itself.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee
    edited May 2016
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I had to look at the photos a couple of times before concluding that maybe the colour scheme actually does work and is part of a very nice bike indeed - well done. Does the colour match your eyes?

I've got the 2015 Ultegra version which is in light blue (and doesn't match my eyes!) and I like it very much - both colour and bike itself.

Sorry that this posted twice - I must have had a 'senior moment' and there does not seem to be any way to delete it.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Beautiful bike. I'm seriously considering one also.

OP what height are you and could you measure your pedal to saddle height (along the seat tube) for me. I'm 5'11" and in between a 54cm and 56cm, if I knew your height and your saddle height (measured from the flat part of the pedal) It wouuld give me an idea on what size to go for. I'm looking for a relaxed geometry and your saddle to handlebar height looks ideal. I know there are other factors to consider but your measurements would give me an idea.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    MugenSi wrote:

OP what height are you and could you measure your pedal to saddle height (along the seat tube) for me. I'm 5'11" and in between a 54cm and 56cm, if I knew your height and your saddle height (measured from the flat part of the pedal) It wouuld give me an idea on what size to go for. I'm looking for a relaxed geometry and your saddle to handlebar height looks ideal. I know there are other factors to consider but your measurements would give me an idea.

I am going to take a guess at 5ft 10 with a 32" inseam.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bristolpete
    MugenSi wrote:

Will measure to confirm late, but have had an absolute stinker of a cold here, bed ridden so it must be man flu, which is typical as have this week off work and too ill to ride. But for now, I am 5'9, just over and have a short 'bicycle' inseam of 30. At 5'11 you are smack bang on a 56cm which is 5'10 to 6ft according to the 'dale size charts. 5 years ago I would have bought a 56cm, but I seem to have lost height and reach....

I am very happy with the bike. Very comfy and still a great bike to ride. As before, not got the snap of a 'race' bike, but the more I ride it the better it gets. It is a very good bike for long miles and getting in shape on.
  • ayjaycee
    For what it's worth, I'm 6'1" (ish) and I think the 56cm is spot on for me. I have got the stem flipped too ease back problems - I know that you can't really tell much from pictures but my set up is here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    how did the Evo compare to the Defy?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Could you kindly elaborate on the BB30A c-bear adaptor, with some close up photos if you have the time?

Does it feel a solid conversion? Was it easy to fit? Has it increased the effective BB width significantly (I.e. Are your feet much further apart?)
  • bristolpete
    edited May 2016
    how did the Evo compare to the Defy?

The evo has instant acceleration I have yet to feel in a bike before and after. Just snapped at the BB with instant response. I remember it from the first one I had in a 54cm, met the Cannondale rep and said how amazed I was that the bike went about its business without the fanfare of 'aero this' and 'aero that'. But, a bike only great if it fits and really, at 5'9 I was just a tad short for the 56cm and felt all over the 54cm. Given the Defy had a race proven pedigree and won Paris-Roubaix last year, it was a superb bike, really very good. Had to liquidise an asset to buy the evo and sadly it is long gone. But the Synapse is excellent as a bike for sure. I *might* buy a Dogma F8 frame next year, maybe 2018, pending how the industry pans out reference disk brakes and of course, how my neck holds up.
  • bristolpete
    Secteur wrote:
    Could you kindly elaborate on the BB30A c-bear adaptor, with some close up photos if you have the time?

Does it feel a solid conversion? Was it easy to fit? Has it increased the effective BB width significantly (I.e. Are your feet much further apart?)

Will try and snap some images, not that there is a lot to see, press fit, bosh, in with a park tool press and job done. Q-factor extended marginally, but no more than hollow-tech cups or praxis. I am due to give the bike a good clean on Thursday as riding from Bristol to Devon where I live so want it running smooth and quiet. Approx a solid 90 miler.
  • ayjaycee
    Pete, I was also wondering how you actually installed the C-Bear BB - ie. did it need any special tools to do the job? Again, thanks.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • bristolpete
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pete, I was also wondering how you actually installed the C-Bear BB - ie. did it need any special tools to do the job? Again, thanks.

Well, Jim the mechanic did it and when asked, he said usual park tool press.
  • gaffer_slow
    what size was your Defy, what size is your Synapse?
  • bristolpete
    what size was your Defy, what size is your Synapse?

Defy was a M/L with a 56cm TT and massive head tube. Would have bought another one, but alas, all disk now and wanted to reduce reach for the foreseeable. Wish I had not got caught up in the bargain evo debate as only sold the defy to buy one of those. But, life goes on.
  • gaffer_slow
    5'9, just over and with a short 'bicycle' inseam of 30 on a M/L Defy is just straight up weird ('sloping' standover is 31"+ .... granted not the best guide ), but must have worked obviously.

54 synapse looks great.
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    beautiful bike!